VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I have a 2003 Volkswagen Passat V6 with a Triptronic

Customer Question
Automatic Transmission. When I bought...
I have a 2003 Volkswagen Passat V6 with a Triptronic Automatic Transmission. When I bought the car it had a bad transmission so I had it replaced with one from the salvage yard. The car drives fine and the transmission works good most of the time. Sometimes after starting the car and putting it in D or R it jerks hard and all blocks in the instrument cluster light up (PRD321). If I immediately switch the car off and start it up again the lights go out and it will shift properly in all gears with no jerk. Sometimes no blocks light up and it will only shift into 1st even thought the lever is in the D position. I've replaced the TCU and I've used my VCDS software to set the basic settings 60 and kickdown 63. Where do I need to proceed next? Any help would be appreciated.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: VW
1/27/2016
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

what faults were stored in the tcm please? thanks

Incorrect gear ratio - 1
Incorrect gear ratio - 4I believe this is correct. I don't have the data right in front of me.

internal slippage of the clutch "A" , electric valve sticking mechanically, or the mechanical valve in the valve body sticking.

attached is a good reference of what clutches and brakes are engaged in each gear and the location of the solenoids of the valve body for each particular gear.

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang

Is there anything that I can do to try to repair this problem? Besides removing the transmission and replacing it with another one?

you can try to remove the valve body and take it apart , clean and reinstall with new fluid and may be ok