VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

My 2005 VW Passat was stuck in the snow I was trying to dig

Customer Question
my way out and was...
My 2005 VW Passat was stuck in the snow I was trying to dig my way out and was turning and turning the wheel and it just turned off, won't turn back on but all electrical components seem to work.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: VW
1/25/2016
VW Mechanic: eauto, The Car Guy replied 1 year ago
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy

does it click or anything?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It does click, just doesn't finish starting

does it crank over?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What do you mean?

does the starter engage and turn the motor over in a attempt to start

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it does

does it have gas?

how many miles are on it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It has gas, and it has 150,000

is the timing belt original?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have no reason to suspect otherwise

are you the original owner?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, I am not

how many miles were on it when you purchased? are you mechanically inclined?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can figure things out. 140000

We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing. I would start with a compression check or a peak at the timing belt

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition.

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you

eauto
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy