gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

My name is ***** ***** and I am having issues with my 06 VW

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** and I am having issues with my 06 VW Passat.... My parking brake will not release. I am getting a error message to release it manually. I am just wondering if this is a easy and some what inexpensive fix. From what I have read online it appears that if I take it to a VW dealership they can replace the parking brake control module or recode it. Our mechanic that does work strictly on VW's is informing my wife that this is going to be a very expensive fix. He was talking thousands of dollars. Just wondering if I am getting ripped off. I am attempting to find other alternatives. Thanks!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: There are no other issues other than the parking brake will not release.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to VW Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

No, you typically just replace the switch in the dash- on some of these there was a flash update for the module as well, the dealership could tell you if it is applicable to yours.

There's no easy way to retract these manually, but it can be done. Either by jumping power to the motors, or by removing the motors and retracting the motor with a ratchet and torx bit.