VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

I own a 2010 Volkswagen CC sport 2.0 T I just recently

Customer Question
Hello, I own a 2010 Volkswagen...
I own a 2010 Volkswagen CC sport 2.0 T I just recently purchased some after market LED fog lights plastic part replacement for the exterior of the car and to use them as day running lights or just to have them switch on every time I turn the car on... The problem is there was no instructions being from overseas..
It only says connect the black wore to negative on the battery and tap the red wire to your hood fuse box for any ACC Powe or Ac12 + or any fuse that will have power only when the car it's turned on...
I don't own a car Manual and I'm not familiar with fuses before I pull a fuse out and tap the red wire do you know which color and number fuse under the hood this red wire should've tapped in to receive power to light these LED lights after the car starts ?
I teste the LED by placing black negative and red positive on battery and works fine.. So now I just need find the right fuse so they will turn off. when car is off and get on only when I put the keys in and start the car..
Thank you for your time
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: VW
Answered in 1 day by:
1/19/2016
VW Mechanic: Martin, auto electrical replied 1 year ago
Martin, auto electrical

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer.

The fuse box in the engine bay has a few open fuses, you can use fuse #19. This fuse is allocated for accessories that can be added. You can just plug the red wire into the fuse socket the one side will have power and the other side will not have power. So all you will have to do is astablish which side has power.

For safety sake insure you have a inline fuse in the red wire.

This information should get you going but if you need more please do not hesitate to ask.

Greetings,

Martin.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I will try this today so just go to an auto shop and buy an inline fuse and just snap the red wire inside of it and then connect that fuse to the 19# ***** it should work when I turn the car on ? Is there anyway you could show me a photo of the inline you reccomend or just anyone will work just fine ?Thank you I will let you know if it did work today !
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey Martin,forgot to ask is the inline fuse connecter has the fuse included or I need buy also a fuse separate to it ? I will just try and go to an auto shop and ask...Thank you again
I will update you later on

No if there is a fuse then you do not have to put another fuse in.

Greetings,

Martin.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
isn't the inline fuse a connecter with a fuse attached to it ? I'm just goin to open my fuse box and check the #19 spot to see if there a fuse already... If not could you upload a Photo of The online fuse you reccomend since there many different ones
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok great Thank you so much i will update you once I do it all... So from your hand sketch I see I need a 15a fuse ? And get one of the inline like the one in the picture you attached... The red wire is already attached to the LED lights so I just need make that connection.Thank you again

Ok will be waiting the results

Greetings,

Martin.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok it works now... Only thing when I hit the key button to lock the automatic 4 doors the lights come on and stay on ? There no other way that when I lock the car with my key they stay off ? Some people did advice to connect them to the DRL ? Any suggestions ! As you see in the picture the lights are still on and it's been already 2 minutes since car is been locked !
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Now I just turned the car off and locked it and disconnected the black from negative on the battery and the light are off but when I reconnect the black to negative they goes on... So they stay on as if was positive and negative how's it possible ? The Volkswagen CC doesn't have the switch offf does power keeps running in the car ??

They are using that outlet for the radio amp, I was not awear that it switch on when the car is locked. The only thing I can say try one of the other outlets that only have power on when the ignition is on.

Greetings,

Martin.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you have any ideas from the engine fuse box which one would be the one without power ? I just don't want pull them out all?? From the photo of my box do you know where those fuses are connected to ? VW CC doesn't come with a fuse Manual and I have no ideas which one are the others :(

Use the open slots do not pull out the fuses.

Just use the male spade terminal and push it into the open fuse holders on of them must have ignition only power.

Greetings,

Martin.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I will try now and let you know... Thank you for your time Martin!

My pleasure

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just tried all the empty spots they all stay on ? After I turn the car on lights comes on and even if I turn car off they stay on... And even if I unplug now the fuse and try all the others as soon I put the inline fuse back in it'll light them up again
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have that got it from Google... But I would have to pull some fuses out then ? From that diagram which fuse has the power only when the ignition is on ? How about pulling one of the black relay and just stick the wire in one of those without the inline or I don't know I'm going crazy with these lights... It's something so simple and yet so hard to make it work...

If you will bear with me fuse #29 inside the car should be open and will only have power when the ignition is on, you can plug your fuse holder into that one.

Greetings,

Martin.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The interior side pannel fuses ? How can I reach that from the hood engine ? Is it possible ?

You will have to find a rubber grommet on the firewall where you can push the wire through.

Hard for me to try and tell you from where I sit now, there must be a spot where you can tread the wire though.

Greetings,

Martin.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will try my best tomorrow and see if I can do it... I will keep you updated !

Okay will be waiting your reply.

Martin.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There no way to access the side panel fuse box from the engine bay I tried all the ways nothing goes there from engine it's blocked by other stuff there no holes or anything to let wire go trough it :(

The openings are there you might have to do some dismanteling of the fusebox.

Greetings,

Martin.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is really frustrating.. It has it be a way to Connect these lights trough the hood fuse box instead of going to the interior fuse light box..

On fuse #27 I am not sure if there is ignition but its worth a try. Connect the red wire there with the ignition on and see if you have power there..

Martin.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How about finding the headlight or parking DRL light socket and connect the red cable inside there ? Is that work ? Or it need be a fuse slot ?

Can you send me a photo of your installation instructions.

Greetings,

Martin.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They come with no instructions... It just says black to battery negative and red wire to ACC or Ac12v use box because as you know other cars have that under the engine fuse box... It seems that only VW cc have them on the side interiors fuse box and not in the engine... Or another option would be getting a DRL auto switch on and off box and then connect black to negative and red to positive on battery and the auto on switch should work on is on...
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But I was wondering if I could tap the red wire inside the DRL light or headlights wires ?

Yes I checked some installation instructions on the net you can do that. All you will have to do is to find the wire that has the power supply for the running lights. You can disconnect the plug at the light and take a multi meter and see which wire do have power or if you do not have a multi meter use the red wire to test. When the lights come on connect it to that wire and you should be set.

Greetings,

Martin.

Connect the red wire to the white yellow wire and that should do it.

Greetings,

Martin.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok and still keep the black wire grounded to the negative of the battery ?

yes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will check and try Monday and let you know... Just been busy didn't have time

Okay it should work just fine. Thank you for letting me know.

Greetings,

Martin.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No luck and my mechanic electrician also told me to do it in a different way and to buy an extra DRL switch on and off so when the car goes off it will automatically switch the lights off...
Martin, auto electrical