VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

GPS locked up on daughters 2012 VW Beetle while driving from…

Customer Question
GPS locked up on daughters...
GPS locked up on daughters 2012 VW Beetle while driving from Philadelphia to Orlando. We tried resetting to the factory defaults but no luck. I read about a "soft reset" of the system but the way the guy described it online it didn't work on this GPS/NAV. suggestions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: VW
1/17/2016
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer .
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

I do need to know what is the vin# ***** see which gps system you have. Thanks

Here ya go...3vwjp7at9cm604758

can you take a pic of the radio where the navigation map is showing ? thanks

See attached below. It won't move off of Georgia even though I'm well over 400 miles from Georgia in Orlando, FL. Tried to do a "soft reset" by pushing the two top left buttons and then the top right button (so did the dealer I went to). No one can figure it out so far.

what i would like for you to do is to disconect both battery cables and hold the 2 cable ends together for 5 minutes and then hook the cable ends back to the battery then start the car and test drive for 5 minutes to get all of the lights out in the dash and then recheck the nav unit

the volkswagen dealership ran a diagnostic on the unit and it was defective. Fortunately the car was certified pre-owned and was covered under the warranty. $3000 for one of those things!!!

great to hear !!! i was leaning that way but wanted to make sure

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang