Martin, auto electrical
Experience:  South African Trade Diploma in Auto Electrical
47606789

67 Bug, manual shift....The starter was bad, bought a

Customer Question

67 Bug, manual shift....The starter was bad, bought a rebuilt one. installed it. when I try to start it now it wont start. The only sound it makes is something like a elect. fuel pump would make. Bad starter? solenoid? or something else. The old started had a dead spot. If I manually cranked the engine around it would go. Any ideas?
Category: VW
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer.

This to me sound as if the battery voltage is to low causing the starter to fall in and out ( jackhammer)

if the battery is fully charged then check the the battery cables a all making proper contact to the battery and also the body. Also check the cable on the transmission next to the front transmission mounting.

This should lead you to the fault if you need more information please do not hesitate to ask.

Greetings,

Martin.