gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

Relating to I have a similar problem with P0501 on a 2008

Relating to http://www.justanswer.com/vw-volkswagen/15i81-jetta-00-car-returning-error-code-p0501.html. I have a similar problem with P0501 on a 2008 Jetta, 5 cylinder, automatic trans. Except in my case the speedometer is dead, odometer is dead, fuel gauge varies widely on change in speed, several dash lights (abs etc.) are lit. The car shifts and drives normal. I gather that I should be looking for G22. My Haynes manual appears to be useless for this. Further background, this car recently hit 130,000 miles and the transmission was acting up. A mechanic replaced the valve body (I think) and the car was running like new. A few months later, my wife was backing out of the drive, and then moving forward, all symptoms mentioned above manifested instantly.

The first thing I would check is the connectors on the front of the transmission. They tend to get fluid seeping through the pins and contaminating or shorting the circuits. Disconnect the connectors and see if there is ATF in them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This car has never dripped a single drop of anything on the ground. However, I can look at that. What connectors are you referring to? Pics? Please, can you tell me where G22 is located?

On this transmission, there is no G22- instead the system relies on the speed signal from the left front wheel speed sensor. Check to make sure there is no damage to the wiring there.

What scan tool are you using, and what module are you pulling the fault code from? Do you have access to the ABS module or the transmission control module?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was scanned at an Advance Discount Auto Parts. I do not understand the second question, I was not using the scanning tool. I do not understand the third question. What do you mean by access? Do you mean access to new parts? I have build car engines, so if I need to take some parts off to get 'access' to something buried underneath, that is not a problem.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is the correct part # for the left front wheel speed sensor? Is that the 'input speed sensor' SMP Auto Trans Speed Sensor, Input Shaft SC455?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just got this car back after an emergency 'loaning' to a son, over a year ago. He never got it fixed. So it is back to me to do it again.