vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

The top on my 2003 vw beetle won't close. It's stuck in the

Customer Question

The top on my 2003 vw beetle won't close. It's stuck in the open position. But not locked . I've tried opening and closing windows..won't reset. I don't hear the motor
Category: VW
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-n3f1w267- replied 1 year ago.

Do you have access to a scan tool? The sunroof on the beetle can fail because of two things , a missing signal or the computer as lost track of where the sunroof is , the best thing to start with is a basic setting , witch is the relearn of all the position of the roof .To do so you need the right scan tool to do the basic settings . If this is not working , a sensor could be in trouble . Try to close the roof manually first . ( you have the procedure in the car booklet ) Let me know !

Try to close it , cycle the key , and try it again .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not a sunroof..convertible top
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any ideas

yeah i meant convertible top , sorry . Have you checked all the fuses ?

And does the light flash ? the one near the handle to lock it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok , try something for me , on the windshield, the front lock goes there with the hook to lock the roof on position . there is a micro switch on the passenger side inside the " hook place "

The tip of the hook push on the switch and tells the computer that it's close , put your finger in there and try to push the switch , don't worry it's not dangerous. Open the roof , push the switch , and try to activate the roof . let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The roof is opened..it's all the way down..it won't go up..stuck open

have you tried to push on the switch like I said and see if the light stop flashing ?