VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

I have a 2003 VW Jetta 2.0l. Recently, when it has either

Customer Question
rained or gets damp outside...
I have a 2003 VW Jetta 2.0l. Recently, when it has either rained or gets damp outside, my car won't fire. The ignition itself tries to turn the car over but the engine won't fire. The auto dealership changed the control module but that didn't help. Can
you let me know what is causing this or what route I can take to eliminate other possibilities?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: VW
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/13/2015
VW Mechanic: eauto, The Car Guy replied 2 years ago
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy

did they replace the coil? is the engine light on?

No they did not replace the coil and Yes the engine light is on.

what codes are present?

Don't know. So far 2 of the 3 times this has happened, the car has started. The time it didn't, no codes showed up.

The symptoms point to the coil ..spray a little water on it with a spray bottle and then try to start it...

Ok. I will replace the coil and see what happens. Thank you. I just purchased a code reader off Amazon so if it happens again I can see if it gives me an error code. Thank you.

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you

I just tried to start the car again and it back fired!

after getting the coil wet??

No. The hasn't started since this morning. I wanted to see if it would start after waiting a while.

I would guess its the coil.................

We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition

I'll let you know tomorrow when I do the testing.

great

eauto
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy