Martin, auto electrical
Experience:  South African Trade Diploma in Auto Electrical
47606789

My wife's 03 Passat 1.8 turbo with a/t is showing code

Customer Question

My wife's 03 Passat 1.8 turbo with a/t is showing code po706. We had it towed to our local shop who has done all the repairs since we've owned it. Only has 112,000 miles. Shop told us it needs a new tranny! I find this highly unlikely due to the relatively low miles on the car. Do you know If this is a common problem for this year with low miles? If it's not is there something you recommend I try before scrapping it? Shop gave us a 4K price on replacing it. We're going to have it towed home tomorrow at which point I'll do a few things I've learned from scouring the forums, like pull up d/s carpet and check splice, and make sure there is no water in the TCM. I have no problem having it towed to another shop for a second opinion. I just don't want to throw a bunch of money away on diagnostics if it's just going to wind up at the scrap yard.
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Meant p/s carpet, not d/s. Also, this car doesn't have a sunroof, though it does have a water leak problem. Always smells musty.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

The first thing to do is get another opinion, it sounds like they can't diagnose it properly. There are many tests that can be done on your transmission via the cars' computer, the right shop will know how to do this. As for the leak, the only thing I can suggest is checking the window and door seals. That's a tough one for not being able to actually see it.

Thanks, Ron

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer.

I have found you a video that show a possible repair for your cars problem

https://youtu.be/tsgg8AyyTpE

This might very well be what is wrong with your car. After all my year working on cars I have never heard of a transmission packing up to the extend that it is not repairable.

So Please is you need more information do not hesitate to ask

Greetings,

Martin.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

I forgot to mention that you can also get assistance for your leak talking to a dealer body shop for the most common things they see for leaks.

Once again, if you have any further question regarding your problems, just let me know, I'm here to help you.

Thanks again, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Had the car towed home today. Asked around at work and found a guy that has a VAG-COM! He's going to bring it in for me on Monday. Till then my plan is to lift the carpet and check for moisture, check the wire splices, and visually inspect the TCM for signs of coming in contact with water. I think I'm kind of in limbo until I can get that code reader on Monday. To answer you're question, I'd consider myself above average for skill. I'm by no means a master mechanic, but am able to keep my 88 BMW M6 (E24) running smooth, and do most the maitrnence on my BMW S1000RR. Please let me know if you have an further thoughts or advice. Really hoping to find water under the carpet at this point! I have a feeling I'll have to call on you're expertise again once I have the code reader in hand.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Ok, just let me know the results

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I lifted the carpet on the p/s and everything was bone dry! TCM and wires have never seen a drop. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there another control module under the carpet on the d/s that will create transmission chaos? If so, I'm thinking it would be worth the hassle to pull that side as well. If not, I can't be bothered to do it. As I told you earlier a guy I work with is bringing me his vag-com in Monday which will hopefully yield some positive results. I just thought it'd be worth trying that first because it seems to be such a prevalent problem. No such luck!
Please let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions.
Isn't there also a sensor of some sort connected to the transmission that can go bad and make the car go to limp mode? I know I'm grasping at straws but I'm still having a difficult time believing 100k mi can kill a teams!
Thanks for your help and I look forward to hearing back!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ha ha. I just had sent off that last email to you seconds before your newest response with the YouTube video came.
Will the vag-com tell me if that is actually the problem? If so, I'll wait till Monday when I have it.
Thanks.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Yes the VAG- COM scanner will do that for you. You should be able to find the fault with the scanner tool.

If you need more info just let me know

Greetings,

Martin.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for interruption. Please let me know of you need more help, I'm here for you.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks to you both for the insight, and especially for the transmission range sensor video! I have yet to do anything with the car because I just returned from being out of the country for 3 weeks.I found a company online that rents a VAG-COM for $5 a day. I'm hoping to get under the car tomorrow to check the connectors for corrosion on the plug coming from the range sensor. If those are good I'll get the VCDS shipped Monday.I'm really hoping it's just a sensor! I have found that with the key on and foot on the brake all of the gear indicators on the dash are blocked red. Each one does not light up independently when I shift from P to R to N to D etc...Please let me know if you think of any other possible causes. I'll let you know what the code reader says. Fingers crossed!Thanks again,
Adam
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for getting back to me. Sound's like just the range sensor.

Greetings,

Martin.