gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I own a 2013 VW GTI. We bought it new. We recently took it

Customer Question

I own a 2013 VW GTI. We bought it new. We recently took it in for service as it had (2) VW recalls and needed service. The car is 2 1/2 years old and has 14,000 miles on it. The first time I took it in for it's free oil change and tune up, I mentioned when I backed down our driveway and braked, it made a grinding noise. The service people said it was nothing and I shouldn't be concerned. This time I not only mentioned it but pointed out that the rear brake rotors had deep grooves in them. (I have pictures) The front rotors were absolutely clean and shiny. How could this happen after only 14,000 miles? We left the car and later I got a call stating the rear pads and rotors needed to be replaced at a cost of $425.00. I have a friend with the same car who has 55,000 miles on his and his brakes are fine. Does it sound to you that there may have been something wrong with the pads that caused the grooving. Maybe you have heard of the VW GTI brake problem.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Rear pads on VWs always wear faster than the fronts, you can ask for longer wear brakes but they will be noisier. Or you can get softer pads that will wear faster. It looks like you live in a "rust belt" state, if you don't keep your car in a garage you will get condensation on the rotors and corrosion will form, and you will get a scraping sound every morning for the first few times you stop.

The grooves look like you may have gotten some gravel/sand in the pad area, they normally do not wear like that. I'm sure you weren't "due" for a replacement, you probably had plenty of pad life left, they just offered to sell you pads and rotors to get you back to ungrooved, non noisy brakes. You can always say no to suggested repairs.