gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I too am having this problem with my 2005 V8 Touareg. It

Customer Question

I too am having this problem with my 2005 V8 Touareg. It happened before along with some other problems about 12,000 miles ago and the dealer replaced the battery under the seat and blamed it on a "low voltage problem." And it indeed did go away for a while. But "It's baaaacckk";p. On a side note: I had a "Stop fault Running Gear" warning also at this time that has never returned since that battery was replaced.
Exactly it is a click in the left mid-lower side of the dash behind the steering wheel. A random/irregular rhythm, subtle two part click (think s1s2 medical people) that starts as I'm slowing down. This precedes the warning to move the selector to position P which generally pops up after several clicks. It continues while I idle at a light. I have actually moved the lever to P while stopped at a light and it did stop for the moment and removed the "move selector" warning.
My dealer cannot apparently figure it out. Or have more fun charging me while they discover what
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like your steering immobilizer is going bad- it is mounted on the lower end of the steering column, and can't be replaced separate from the column. It also has to be adapted to the immobilizer.