Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

Have a 2006 vw GTI with mods, the car runs awesome but

Customer Question

hi have a 2006 vw GTI with mods, the car runs awesome but clutch [email protected] 75,000 miles had to replace factory clutch plus mods were to much for it...went with a stage 3 clutch master assembly lasted 3 months & 2 clutch springs fell out of clutch dics.. put in another one same deal but used a VW slave cly... that lasted about a year & 3500 miles same thing clutch disc spring fell out....now that one was replaced again this time went with a south bend stage 2 by their recommendations/// hers the new issue!!!! went to pick up the car clutch pedal was on the floor so they kept it and bleed it again,, then we complained that the clutch pedal felt like it had no pressure like spongy brake pedal.. they bleed it like 4 more times same thing...so said o well went for a stage 3 to a 2 so that may be it... now mayb 2 months later clutch is out again..diving down the road 30 mph went to put it into 4th gear & it wouldnt go!!!! took it back tech?? says it feels like the clutch is engaged and wont release??? but hasnt takin it apart yet, my theory is spings out of disc again and wedged not allowing clutch to operate!!!! my 2 question r if thats so y the hell do the clutch disc springs keep falling out??? and how do i get a harder clutch pedal?? could it be the master cyl for bad pressure no leaks not adding fluid???
Category: VW
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

to keep getting theses issues I'd say that you need to check the condition of the flywheel and the amount of preload / assembled height of the clutch

as I'd say its possible the clutch is either being overstroked - which can be fixed by limiting the pedal travel or the flywheel face is warped so it would need fitting to a lathe and removing a minimum of material to clean it up

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as i stated every one that has been replaced was a clutch pack including new flywheels!!!! so your not helping me nor are you telling me what to do about pedal pressure with master cly or slave cly or????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what would make the clutch disc springs fall out???
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

OK if clutch springs are falling out then the clutch is being overworked with sudden back and forth load coming in so it over compresses the springs and they lose their spring force and and then fall out or they are broken

for this to happen I'd say either the engine is vastly more powerful than before ( you mention modification?) and do you have a measured torque from a rollilng road ?

can you tell me what clutch you're fitting and what engine modifications you've done and what you're revving it to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok found out today that the clutch disc was welded to the flywheel,,,, im told by the clutch company the only way that can happen is slipping it to make it that hot to melt it to flywheel or the real problem is i believe that what come make it slip with out really noticing it... what i mean is if the slave cyl/throw out bearing was defective could cause the clutch disc to not totally disengage for the flywheel?? or pressure plate all that were new in change a month ago and for the pedal to be soft??? is this all make any sense?? thanks
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

in a way its good to find some evidence as this means we're closer to fixing it

for a clutch to be in a state of constant slip then either the pressure plate isn't clamping it correctly, so check its fitted the right way round and that the centre part of the clutch isn't being clamped up / touching the flywheel or pressure plate which would prevent the outer friction face from being fully compressed

if this is OK then its likley that the slave cylinder or throw out bearing is too tall and / or not fully compressing so preloading the clutch too much

if when you come to fit the gearbox it feels like you're having to wind the bolts in to draw the box to the engine then this is a sign that this is happening

so the next steps are to make some careful measurements and compare the original parts against the new

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.