vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

Have 98 beetle wont start after sitting fir a couple hours t

Customer Question

have 98 beetle wont start after sitting fir a couple hours hit it with starting fluid it will start right up and run fine
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
always starts when it is warm
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. What is the fuel pressure at when this happens? Are there any codes in the computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
obd2 reader will not connect to computer keeps saying no connection but the check engine lite is on and has been for over a year it use to read when it dI'd said secondary air flow
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information. Do you have an aftermarket radio?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

O, thank you for that information. Have you tried using another scanner or code reader to pull codes from the on board computer?

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

The reason I ask is because if there is a no communication issue going on between the computers on board the vehicle, this can and will cause an issue with the vehicle. It can cause this hard or maybe even a no start situation

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a vag-com program haven't tried that yet what I do not understand is why it will start with starting fluid and run fine but when it sits for about an hour have to give it a shot of starting fluid again
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Right, you wont understand it until the problem is diagnosed. Then you will understand why this is. Does that make sense? I can give you a few reasons if that will help

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

So basically, you will need to diagnose the problem.. and I can help you.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Would you like some possible causes?

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Let me start by asking you this, what is the fuel pressure at when this happens?