VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

I have a 87 VW Scirocco 16v 1.8L and I changed my start and

Customer Question
alternator and it still won't...
I have a 87 VW Scirocco 16v 1.8L and I changed my start and alternator and it still won't hold a changer. So my question is why is my battery keep dying and how can I fix it.
P.s. The battery is a year hold and I took it to AutoZone and they charged it but then it died.. Help the newbie
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: VW
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
10/9/2015
VW Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The first thing you want to do is to make sure the battery will hold a load and the charging system is charging at the correct amount with the engine running, a normal working alternator charge rate is right at 14 volts with the engine running. If the battery checks okay as well as the alternator then you likely have a draw which means something is not shutting down when the key is off and that means you are going to need to perform a battery draw test. I have enclosed the steps to check for a draw in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Draw%20test%20Oct%209.pdf

I need some help I have a 87 VW Scirocco 16V DOHC I put a new alternator in ( had AutoZone tested it 4 times and passed) I took my Battery to Battery Mart. Hooked every thing up and it started and was running for a few miles but then it shut down on me. I'm putting a new distributor cap on. But I don't get it what would be causeing my battery to die???

Have you verified that the new alternator is charging when its on the car, normal engine charging voltage should be right at 14 volts with the engine running.

Okay if the alternator is charging the battery with the engine is running and the battery is still going dead on you then you are going to need to perform the battery draw test I sent you in my first post.

yeah Ron I got the file you sent me but I don't have the testing light thing lol

You can pick one up at any parts store for about $10.00

what is this part called exacting I'm in the AutoZone website trying to find it

Its called a 12 volt test light.

See this link

http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/test-light

Ron, ASE Certified Technician