Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

2001 VW Cabrio Glx, coils keep malfunctioning, I've

Customer Question

2001 VW Cabrio Glx, coils keep malfunctioning, I've changed voltage regulators, the coil still malfunctions, i went to a VW dealer got a new coil from them that matched my vin number, the car sputters then stalls at low rpms, as long as i keep the rpms
above 1500 the engine stays running, I've replaced 4 coils, changed spark plugs,, distibutor cap and rotor, do you have any ideas? VW said it could be the crank positioning sensor, or a mass air flow sensor, or any of the many other sensors, any ideas? I like
the car, i have read that some people have spent alot of money and this problem is never solved, i really don't wish to send the car to the junk yard.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

is the check engine light on ? was a scan test performed to see if there were any codes?

thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
check engine light is on. I haven't checked recently for codes the last ones were C0681-P1641, C064-P1580, C0066-P0102
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 years ago.

the p0102 is a fass air flow code where extensive diagnosis is needed with VAG COM scan tool to isolate the issue . There can be an air to fuel mixture issue where it can cause this rought running issue at low rpms. do you have VAG COM scan tool?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, my friend has one but he's on vacation for another week
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 years ago.

need to have it to isolate it. it is the only way to narrow down this!!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** go shopping for one in a little bit
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 years ago.

my pleasure!

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

So please rate me above!!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang