VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

I need help with a 01 cabrio with a 2.0l aba engine

Customer Question
Hello I need help with...
Hello I need help with a 01 cabrio with a 2.0l aba engine
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: VW
9/29/2015
VW Mechanic: gomi_otaku, VW Technician replied 2 years ago
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician

When you first removed the belt, were the timing marks lined up? Did you use the mark on the flywheel/flex plate to line up the crank, or the mark on the crank damper?

The reason I am asking, is because on these older distributor engines, I have seen the keyway on the crank pulley shear off, and allow the pulley to start to drift slightly on the shaft, despite the crank bolt being torqued to spec. Check the mark through the opening on top of the transmission to line up the crank. On a manual transmission the hole will be round, and the mark will be a hard slash that lines up with a point that hangs down in the center of the hole, on the engine side. On an automatic, the hole is"L" shaped, and the mark is a circle with a line through it- the line will line up right against the lower leg of the "L", allowing you to see half the circle.

Make sure that the distributor rotor is just a hair to the left of the mark on the distributor housing- if it were a minute hand it would be at 59 minutes if the mark is 12:00

I marked all the timing marks on the pulleys and checked before removal. Nothing moved while I slipped the new belt on. Problem with the bellhousing marks(automatic) corrosion has take, the mark away.
I used the bently manual online. And it said there is a mark on the balancer to line up with a dot on the distributor shaft sprocket. That lined up as well before removal.

Normally it is fine to trust the marks on the damper, but this is a situation I have dealt with numerous times. Despite your precautions in removing and installation, if the pulley is the issue you will not know unless you do these other checks. You want to visually see where the distributor rotor is pointing on the housinh, there is a cut mark if you move the dust shield. And rust will not remove the marks that are cast into the flex plate, they just may be hard to see. If you think you have found the mark, scuff the surface with some emery cloth or sandpaper and the marks will stand out better.

I know,on the flywheel there is a raised piece of metal by factory. Is the mark near that?

No, that is just a weight added to balance it during rotation to eliminate vibration. Set up the timing according to the mark on the damper to the plastic shield behind it, and use that as a general idea of the location. Watch for the mark to show up when you are nearing that point, if not rotate the crank further a little at a time to watch for it.

The timing mark on the plastic cover matched up. I removed the crank sprocket and found no fault with the keyway. Distributor lined up perfectly at 11:59 and camshaft lined up perfectly as well.

Does your engine have a cam sensor behind the cam gear on the head? I'm pretty sure it does not, as it has the distributor, but the 99 and up Cabrios were kind of a mixed creature.

I found the mark on the flexplate and noticed the crank was off. Distributor and camshaft were on point but the crankshaft was off.

But the vibration damper ***** *****ned up correctly with the mark on the plastic? And you took the toothed gear off the crankshaft and checked the keyway?

I checked the keys at today no issue there. I started the car and no longer have any issues. Camshaft is tdc rotor is at 11:59 and crank is on the mark at the flywheel. Runs super Smith now and has power with no engine light.
I did notice in the gently manual it said totally different alignment for the crank and the intermeadiate gear.

Yeah, even though Bentley worked directly with VW to write VW's manuals (and in turn got to publish their own) sometimes the methods that work in the shop are best

gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician