sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

1999 Passat; AC runs any time that the fan is on; no matter

Customer Question

1999 Passat; AC runs any time that the fan is on; no matter if it is set at 84-degrees; "high"; "ECON"; "AUTO" ... I can't get any heat because the AC is always running. I don't have a 384 relay but do have a 267. Have you ever run into this problem?
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
UPDATE: I CAN get the AC to turn "off" by using the "ECON" button, but the heat that is coming out of the defrost or vents is not hot enough. It isn't even warm. With winter coming, there is no way that it will defrost the windows or keep the windshield warm enough to melt the snow.FYI: New heater was installed (by dealer) last month. Anti-freeze is full and hoses feel about 190 degrees--which is what the temperature gauge indicates is the engine temperature. But, the inside temperature feels about 70 degrees at best. I need HOT heat for the winter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New HEATER CORE was installed by the dealer (I said "heater" in the above comment).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After "Google-ing" for the past hour or so, I believe that I have air in my system. I can hear my blend door opening and closing and since the heater core was just replaced, it appears that their may be air in the system and that is likely the cause of my poor heat issue as the hoses are hot; the temperature gauge says the engine is at 190 degrees Thanks anyway ....
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's very possible that you have air in the heater core, either due to a leak or the system not being fully bled the last time it was opened. Poor heat can be caused by low coolant temperature, air in the system, a restricted heater core or the blend door not moving correctly.

Have you tried bleeding the air from the cooling system since your last post?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found the answer in my own via Google but can't find a way to delete my question or cancel it out. Not sure why this site makes it so difficult to delete a question. Now I have to dispute the charges on my credit card. What a huge pain in the ass. Seems like a rip-off site.

If you would like a refund of your deposit you can do so from your screen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was no "refund", "cancel", or "delete your question" links on my history page. Customer service says it was a glitch in their system. I tried to cancel the question last night but there was not a link.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to waste 30 minutes to call Customer Service to get a refund because the website did not have anyway to delete my question. I tried to delete the question 12 hours before an expert responded to my question, to no avail, as there was not a refund or delete link in my account history. Hope they clear up this link issue with the website. Additionally, I posted (before an expert responded) that I had solved the problem myself and ended that post with "Thanks anyway" ... yet someone responded to that post, which caused me to be billed $28.

You mentioned that you thought there may have been air in the heater core but not that the problem had been repaired.

I'm glad you got the problem fixed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My complaint is not with you, and I do appreciate your replies & comments, and I'm sure that I'll be working with you in the future.My problem is with the website.After I found the answer via a Google search, I then spent over an hour last night, trying to delete my question but could not do so.
I gave up on trying to delete my question, and went to bed after posting updates to my question, stating that I had solved the problem.When I awoke, I called the Customer Service (which I should not have been required to do) and was told that there was a "glitch" with the system as the links to delete my question (via requesting a refund of my $5 deposit) were missing from the website.My anger is from the waste of time that I had to expend to delete my question.

I'm glad you got the problem repaired.