VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

02 jetta wagon 1.9 tdi a/c does not run and radiator fans

Customer Question
run continuously while engine runnig...
02 jetta wagon 1.9 tdi a/c does not run and radiator fans run continuously while engine runnig and after shutdown even when engine is cold?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: VW
Also ac pressure good at 85 psi, no diagnostic codes . Thermal rad switch is working properly.
9/20/2015
VW Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if the compressor may be disabled due to a coolant temperature sensor signal issue. If coolant temperature is high or the ECM has identified that the signal is implausible then it will run the cooling fan all the time for protection and can disable the a/c compressor. If the cooling fan is running with the key off though that would indicate a failure in the fan controller or a short to ground on it's control circuit.

With the engine cold use a scan tool to compare engine coolant temp to ambient and intake temp. If the temperature is incorrect then you either have a failed coolant sensor or sensor wiring/connection issue.

My scan tool does not read sensors can I test with vom
Fan module replaced ,either original or new module do same thing running after key off.
What do you mean by short in control circuit, in module or external.
I assume coolant temp sensor is a thermistor what resistance value can I expect at 70 degrees f.

If the fan runs after the key is off then the fan controller is bad or it's control circuit is shorted to ground. That should be separate from the a/c issue. Did the replacement do the exact same thing as the old one immediately when plugged in?

it did exact same thing fans on all the time.fans shutdown if module 14 pin connector is disconnected ,then fans will cycle on/off on thermal switch when car idling.

With the key off if you unplug the ECM will the fans shut off?

Do you have a temp to resistance to ck coolant sensor?

The correct way to check coolant temperature signal is by using a scan tool. Testing the sensor's resistance isn't that accurate and doesn't account for the wiring. At 85 degrees it should be 1500-2,000 ohms; however if the fan runs without the key on then the coolant temperature signal is no longer in question because you have a failed fan controller or shorted control circuit.

Ok please elaBorate on troubleshooting shorted control circuit if you can? I will rate u very highly if we can get to bottom of this nightmare. Thank you for your help

I asked this morning if the fan turns off if you unplug the ECM while they are running with the key off but never heard back.

Either way you will get good rating.i do appreciate your persiverance.
I was out for a bit in garage now testing fan module i/o 's

Does it stop running with the ECM unplugged?

Where is ecm located on tdi
I'm accessing ecm now I'll get back shortly

Ok.

After shutdown pulling ecm plugs DOES NOT SHUTOFF FANS

You mentioned testing the controller's inputs and outputs. What were the results there?

Hello .fyi ac not running and fans running continuously were caused by same issue. The ambient temp switch had 1325 ohms at 70 degrees. I jumped plug and car is fixed I appreciate your help and will pay the , 28 dollars but the fan module test procedure I found on Web found the issue

I'm glad you got it repaired.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician