Martin, auto electrical
Experience:  South African Trade Diploma in Auto Electrical
47606789

I have a 2012 Jetta Sportwagon that makes a clanking noise

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Joyce. I have a 2012 Jetta Sportwagon that makes a clanking noise when I'm accelerating at approx. 35 mph and again at 50 mph... I have had it in for service at the dealership numerous times and they have not been able to find any problem. Any ideas?
Category: VW
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi Joyce tell me do you only get this noise when you accelerate? Try this for me please I just want to make sure about what I am thinking. Please try to accelerate your car from a stand still and then dropping the clutch for a manual or accelerating fast for a automatic. If when you do that and the noise is very clearly there then I think it's the engine mountings.

Please let me know

Greetings,

Martin.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Martin:
My Jetta is an automatic and I primarily hear the noise when I am accelerating up any sort of incline at approx. 35 MPH/1500 PRMs and thereafter at approx. 50 MPH. I'm not sure if it makes the noise again above 50 MPH as road noise prevents me from hearing it. The dealership recently replaced the muffler in an attempt to correct the issue to no avail.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hi Joyce,

At a guess I would say it's the engine mountings as these cars do have a lot of issues with the engine mountings.

Greetings,

Martin.

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hi Joyce,

Did you resolve the problem with your car or do you need more assistance?

Please do not hesitate to ask.

Greetings,

Martin.