gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I have a 2008 Volkswagen Passat and I took it to someone to

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Volkswagen Passat and I took it to someone to find out why it was getting hot and he couldn't get it to start and I think it has something to do with the security system because it will try to start but wont run. How do I reset the system
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Does it start then shut off? And do you have a symbol on the dash that looks like a car outline with a key in it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it never starts, it tries to but never runs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I drove the car to the guys shop and parked it and the next morning he was going to look at it and he called cause he thought it was out of gas or something and so we put more gas in it and we tried to start it and it acts like it is going to start but wont.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to get an answer soon about this I have been without my car for a week and I really need it
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

But your original problem was that it was "getting hot"? Was it overheating, losing coolant? If you don't have the immobilizer light on, it's not a security issue. The immobilizer allows the car to start then shuts it off. So I would scan it for faults, or check to see if you have fuel to the rail, and good spark.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We were told it was a security issue. It was not overheated when I parked the car because it only tries to get hot when you are going at slower speeds or get caught in traffic. I just need to know how to reset the security. The car is still at the guys house that was going to work on it so I'm not sure about the immobilizer thing you are talking about.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it doesn't lose the coolant
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

It is definitely not a security issue. When trying to start, does it stumble like it is getting fuel but not quite start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's what it is doing, but don't understand why because it was running good when I parked it.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Does this person have a scan tool that can read faults? One other thing to try is to put the gas pedal to the floor, and keep cranking without letting off the key. If it is flooded this will clear out the cylinders and may allow it to start. If it does not, I would start out checking fault, then check for fuel up to the engine bay.