VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

Last month I purchased a 2007 Passat, 2.0T. In the month

Customer Question
I've had it The dealer...
Last month I purchased a 2007 Passat, 2.0T. In the month I've had it The dealer put two quarts of synthetic oil in and today the dip stick was dry, probably meaning another two quarts low. What would cause such rapid consumption of oil? and what might I do about it? I've driven this car exactly 1000 miles.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: VW
9/10/2015
VW Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
HI,
There are a few different possible causes. You dont mention any leaks, so I assume you have looked at the ground where it is parked at for oil puddles. If not, you need to do that to see whether it is leaking externally.
Going on the assumption no external leak, then either the turbo is burning oil, valve seals and guides are worn or piston rings are worn and causing blowby.
The turbo needs to be checked for oil puddling in it. Replace turbo unit if found.
If none found, then engine compression check will need to be done. On cylinders with low compression, a tablespoon of oil should be added to the cylinder and compression retaken. If compression comes up, it is worn piston rings. If compression stays low, it is the valve seals and guides.
Now if you have seen evidence on the ground of external leak, let me know if it was a front, rear, right or left of engine compartment and I can tell you the cause
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager