VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

When filling gas tank, only allows ~half able to fill. Then

Customer Question
when filling gas tank, only...
when filling gas tank, only allows ~half able to fill. Then car is hard to start-have to press gas pedal to get to start. Once going seems to run fine
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: VW
9/4/2015
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

You may have a compounded issue here. the canister purge valve needs to be changed because it is sticking open causing gas fumes to flood the engine. most likely you have a check engine light on .

that needs to be replaced and then rechecked to see if it will take a full load of fuel

If the filling part is still an issue then the then next step is to disconnect the vent hose off of the tank to the canister purge valve and then test by filling the gas tank see if it will take a full load of fuel

Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician