Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

I have a 96 jetta 2.0 and i am having trouble getting the

Customer Question

hi, i have a 96 jetta 2.0 and i am having trouble getting the timing set correctly.
the car started to bog down at acceleration, then the next day i noticed it was doing the same thing at constant speed on the freeway. Then next time i started it it started then died. Engine light was on with code P0341.
I checked the timing belt and it was in good condition, but loose enough that i could spin the tensioner by hand.
I replaced the belt and tensioner. i aligned the cam timing OT mark with the OT mark on the plactic thing, I lined crank using the 0 on flywheel, pointed rotor at notch on distributor. with all those lined up I couldnt get the intermediate shaft marks correct. As i understand it, 2 of the 4 holes in crank sprocket should be at 6 and 12 o'clock with the round mark just to the left of the 6 oclock hole, and the OT on intermediat shaft should line up with arrow on lower timing belt cover, is that correct? Those marks would not line up for me.
with the other set the car started and was running. I turned it off and cleared engine codes then ran tests again and engine light was not back on but it gave me the cam position sensor error again. i started it about 4 times and left it running for a few minutes, then it suddenly died. i checked timing marks and cam shaft was off by about 3 teeth. i lined it all back up and it still wont start and after trying cam is off 3-4 teeth again. engine turns over but wont start.
i reset it all again a third time, and replaced the distributor and it still wont start. it sounds like it wants to but it just wont do it.
any idea whats going on?
im getting very frustrated with this.
thanks
Kelli
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

ok do you have the dist cap off to align the rotor to the line on the alum housing on ot on the cam gear and 0 on the crank.?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have distributor cap off with rotor pointing to the notch on distributor housing,
OT mark on cam gear is lined up with the OT mark on upper timing belt housing
and the crank is set to the 0 mark on flywheel
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 years ago.

now the question is this do you have good spark at the spark plugs? and do you have good compression? do you have good fuel pressure.?

what happens if you have all of that lined up correcty and you shoot carb spray in the throttle body does the engine run? and keep running if you keep spraying some more carb cleaner?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have spark, i have fuel and i have compression.
i didnt try carb spray but i did try starting fluid and it made no difference. it sounds like its about to start but never does.
when it did start the other day after i did the belt the first time, if fired right up, the idle sounded good but i heard a slight ticking. i checked my oil and it was good so i figured it was maybe cause the car has been sitting for about a month, and then the ticking went away after a few minutes. i turned it off a few times and restarted it had it running then it suddenly died. and hasnt started again since
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
before all this happened, i told you the engine light was on with the cam position sensor error, and it also had P0171 bank 1 system too lean and p0440 evaproative emissions system.
since the car originally stopped running i have also changed the MAF and the purge valve, if one of those were possibly bad the car would still start right?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 years ago.

sorry for the delay had a power outage last night. i did take that in consideration of what was done also . lean fault can be also low fuel pressure / volume hence the carb spray in throttle body. now i do wonder that the cam position sensor fault is a wiring issue from the sensor to the ecu. because that sequences the fuel injection order of firing . so if the wiring is not good then it would not run.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did check the wiring to the cam sensor the other day using some instructions s I found online which had me measure the voltage between two of the wires (I forget which ones, I'll have to go look). I got good readings according to the instructions. I'll try again.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 years ago.

no you do not measure voltage but do a resistance check from the ecu to the distributor

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Where exactly do I put the meter leads?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 years ago.

i need a vin # *****

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
3vwra81hxtm054265
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 years ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u09f2m3ojigp00a/96%20aba.pdf?dl=0

go to the link and print out the wiring diagram and go to page 1 where you see G40 trace out the 3 wires make sure that there is less than 1 ohm of resistance on each wire!!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didnt have a chance to check the resistance yesterday but i will today. Until then these marks are all correct right?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 years ago.

the crank part looks not like tdc.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
your talking about the third picture? the flywheel one? its hard to see but isn't that the "0" right about the nail polish? you can just see the bottom of it.
Here is another picture from a different angle, I circled what I think is the "0", and the "6 degrees before TDC".
If those are not the marks, maybe that's my problem!and if those are the correct marks and lined up correctly, my crank sprocket is not lining up as it should in the second picture
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 years ago.

i do not think so . here is another way on the balancer side there is a line for tdc and if you look at the cover of the timing belt there is a mark where the line should line up try that and see if you are close . i bet you are a smidge away