Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

I have an 03 convertible, the top will not go all the way

Customer Question

I have an 03 convertible , the top will not go all the way down, wont lock, and the light flashes. I then have to manually close it a little bit then it will close with the button.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

Usually its the ram position switch that causes the top to stop . You can see part of the top position switch in this photo, it is the piece of plastic that surrounds the the hydraulic line going into the ram.

please see pic link

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see the switch. the one on the right side shows signs of leaking. how do I remove or repair this line
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

signs of leaking is then the hydraulic part of the ram needs to be replaced with the switch . the oil messes with the switch too

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

i do need a vin # ***** get the replacement procedure

thanks

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Hello again !!

just checking if you still need any more help

if not..... please read below!!!

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT ! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

So please rate me above!!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang