Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

2006 jetta with 1.9 washed engine now car starts and quits

Customer Question

2006 jetta with 1.9 washed engine now car starts and quits after 2 second run time and will not fire unless you cycle key off and back on. Also has engine code P0600 serial datta malfunction. How do iisolate which system is bringoing everything down?
Category: VW
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 years ago.

From that code it sounds like there is water in an electrical connector. My guess would be the main connector (I'm surprised how little information there is on this model, maybe because it's the diesel version?).

I attached a picture of where I would start. Pull the connectors, with the battery disconnected first, and spray WD-40 on both sides of the connector. WD-40 displaces water really well (thus the name WD-water displacement). Let the connectors dry for a few minutes disconnected and then plug them back in. Re-connect the battery and I'm willing to bet you will be good to go. Let me know if it keeps acting up.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Before I read this , I removed entirely sprayed the connectors with electrical cleaner let dry then installed dielectric grease reassembled and that never worked, checked rpm sensor for operation and EGR . Running out of answers.
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 years ago.

I'm wondering if the immobilizer is acting up. The way it will start and run for 2 seconds and then die sounds like the immobilizer is sending a theft lock command. Is the theft light flashing on the dash?

You might try what VW calls a cold reset on the immobilizer:

Remove both battery cables and hold them together for 30 seconds. Then reconnect the cables and see if it will start.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I already removed both cables and put all to sleep to no avail, still no start. Also I tried a different key still the same. Anti theft light comes and goes out like normal self test. But it doesn't flash showing a problem so I believe that's not the issue. The customer was upset with the time it's taking so he towed it to the VW dealer 500 KMs away. Hopefully he will advise as to the problem.
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 years ago.

Well, I'll be curious to hear what it was.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As soon as I hear I will let you know
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 years ago.

Ok, great.