Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

01VW Jetta 2.0 won't start change fuel filter, have 10psi

Customer Question

01VW Jetta 2.0 won't start change fuel filter, have 10psi when turn on key 40psi at crank, just spins with no fire.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

did the vehicle run before the filter change and anything else was touched when the filter was changed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took it on a test drive, the wife said it had a hesitation, at the time I drove it it didn't until I turned around then it had a little. I parked the car and turned it off I went to restart it because I forgot to check something with the a/c that I was going to check. The car would not start, it won't even fire just spun like no fuel, I did change the fuel pump and filter 2yrs ago, after changing the fuel filter it did give a little fire like it wanted to start but won't, so I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel system and checked it. I had 10psi with the key first turned on and 40psi durning crank. I decided to see if there were any codes in it even though there was no check engine light when I turned it off, cam position sensor code was there.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

ok how many miles are on the vehicle ? was the timing belt ever changed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
272700 miles and the timing belt was just done about 20 to 30k's ago
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

when cranking over does it sound like it has compression?