VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

2003 vw jetta 1.8 turbo.battery draw.pulled fuse 42 and the

Customer Question
2003 vw jetta 1.8 turbo.battery...
2003 vw jetta 1.8 turbo.battery draw.pulled fuse 42 for radio and the draw is less but still a draw.on top of battery is a power box.if I unhook the big red wire 2nd from the left it goes away.i pulled every fuse in the fuse box and nothing worked but 42 for radio.i wait for the pump in the front to shut off and I think it is asleep then. can you help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: VW
8/20/2015
VW Mechanic: Jake, VW Technician replied 2 years ago
Jake
Jake, VW Technician
I can help you with that, but not at the moment. Can you wait until this evening?
In the mean time how big is the draw? and how are you measuring it? It should be less than .05 amps (50 milliamps).
Thanks!
Jake
I never heard back from you. Would you still like some help with this question? If so please tell me how much draw there is and how you are measuring it.
Thank you!
Jake
sorry about not getting back with you till now. i measure the draw across the pos side of battery with a test light. i've done it this way for 25 years. a real dim light is an acceptable draw. with the 42 fuse for radio plugged in the draw is blight as you hooked it to the battery. un plug 42 fuse and it is less bu still runs bat dead in 2 days. the rest of the draw is going down the big red wire on top of bat 2nd wire from left.

Unfortunately testing it with a test light went out about 25 years ago. Starting in the mid 80s vehicles starting using computers that when the vehicle is turned off they need to consume some electrical energy in order to "go to sleep". The resistance in the bulb of the test light doesn't allow enough energy to flow through the control module to allow the control module to perform it's functions necessary before it can go to sleep. The best way to test it is using an amp meter with a 10 amp scale. The "old school" standard used to be 1/10 of an amp or 100 milliamps draw as being acceptable, modern vehicles you want under half that or 50 milliamps and that is after about a minuet or two. This year/model VW should typically draw about 2 amps when you first hook up the amp gauge and drop down to about .04 amps (40 milliamps) in a minuet or two. You can work around not having an amp meter and using the test light if you follow this procedure. The disadvantage is you won't get a value reading in amps to know exactly what the draw is. Try this; With the negative battery terminal loose, but still connected leave the vehicle sit with all consumers off for about 5 minuets. Now hook up the clamp of the test light to the battery terminal, place the point of the probe in the center post of the negative post of the battery, then gently lift the terminal off the post until only the test light is between the terminal and post. See if the test light is illuminated using your old standards. Again its best to have the amp gauge that way we know exactly what we are dealing with. Let me know how it goes and we'll take it from there.

Jake
Jake
Jake, VW Technician