VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

Engine has a miss I put a tester on it ODB and it shows a

Customer Question
miss in different Cyls at...
Engine has a miss I put a tester on it ODB and it shows a miss in different Cyls at different times I am not sure if its the fuel pump, map sensor, or just spark plugs.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: VW
8/13/2015
VW Mechanic: internal88, VW Mechanic replied 2 years ago
internal88
internal88, VW Mechanic

Hello, I'm Brandon - VW Tech.

It is most likely the ignition coil is bad.

This is the main reason why it is misfiring.

Bremi is a good VW brand.

please rate me positive for the prompt service. Thank you!

What do you think about the MAS being bad?

Yes, it is possible the mass air flow sensor is faculty.

Is the check engine light on?

engine chk light came on but fault was cyl miss .
I will check coil(s) tomorrow and get back to you.

You have a OBD2 data logger to check the coil performance?

This is computer where it can check the spark duration.

I am down to # ***** cyl not firing spark is good compression 160. is there any module that fires #1 or relay or anything?

The module and the coils are together as one unit. VW have a change on the coil. You need to get the latest coil from the dealer. Their unit is most up to date.

Changed coil pack from another VW that was running fine --same problem #1 cyl pulled plug wire while running and it made no difference, how about a bad injector?I am going to pull VC tomorrow to see if I have a valve spring problem or some other problem. Compression of 160 doesn't sound like a spring but I'll check anyway. Is there any module that controls #1 CYL.

Yes, a stuck injector can cause a miss. I will check the schematic tomorrow morning. Will keep you posted.

Hi, I am getting back to you.
Are you sure the engine you have is a 3.6 liters? Because 3.6 liters came out in 2006 not 2002.
No it is 3.0(2.8)
I would like you to do this test.
1. Have the car running the engine and spraying a (MIST) of water on the wires. If the car suddenly starts to run rough or even stalls, then you can go ahead and replace the wires. Don’t use your hands to check, or you’ll get a jolt!
2. Buy a bottle of techron put it in the fuel tank and run the car in the highway. The techron will help clean the fuel injector.
Try these test first before spending money on parts.
I still have this miss in # ***** CYL it seems like a bad injector when I plug the injector in it gets very rich in #2 and fouls the spark plug the smell of raw gas is heavy. does the modual on the coil pack control the the injectors?

Motronic Engine Control Module (ECM) control the fuel injector not the coil.

The injector can be leaking a cause the injector to fail.

The fuel injector can be changed individually.

internal88
internal88
internal88, VW Mechanic