gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

Volkswagen 1.6 FSI BLF: , I am having issues with my Golf

Customer Question

Hi, I am having issues with my Golf 1.6 FSI BLF engine.
The engine starts fine, but as soon as I put it under load (ie start driving) it splutters and fails to accelerate properly.
Same goes when it reaches 90degrees.
I initially had an oxygen sensor error, I changed the sensor
Then I had a P0407, signal too low s I changed the valve (to a second hand on)
Now I get a P1403, signal too high.
I'm confused, it sounds like a wrong mix firing in the cylinder and I get no other error codes on my VCDS.
Any clues?
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 2 years ago.
When you took the EGR off, was there a lot of carbon build up? It's common, especially the smaller the engine, to get a lot of carbon in the intake, and that restriction give you a VERY narrow power band.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it was free of carbon, just dark coloured.
I forgot to mention that the O2 reading is also hovering around -20%, so something is not right.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also I was getting the spluttering before I got the EGR fault code, so not necessarily related.
What else could it be considering I am not getting any other fault codes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When can I expect a response?
You don't have a fault for the engine coolant temp sensor? I might think about changing it anyway, as they are a known failure point, and you say it seems like a fueling issue, and occurs at a certain temp as well.Make sure you check under the hood while running at idle to make sure you don't have any leaking vacuum lines either- the smaller the displacement of the engine, the more an air leak will affect it. You are not running any kind of aftermarket air filter like a K&N or cone filter are you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No fault with the temperature, just a power issue.
Can the coils or throttle control unit be responsible?
without a fault code?
Almost anything will set a fault code, if it isn't within the parameters that the ECM thinks it should be. There have been some issues with the connector at the throttle body on different vehicles, you may want to clean the throttle body well so there is no dirty carbon on the butterfly, and then check the connector terminal ends, maybe apply some dielectric grease. Often what we have had to do is replace the wire ends, staggering the splices and going back up to about 6" away from the connector. The wire ends and the connector housing can be available from VW