gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

Volkswagen Jetta 2.0T: David, I have a 2000 Jetta, that

Customer Question

HI David, I have a 2000 Jetta, that I have replaced the FCR 2times, What is the most comom problem that makes them go Bad?
Category: VW
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I Haven't back form anybody yet on this problem
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 2 years ago.
What are you referring to as the FCR? The comfort control module? What is your failure symptom(s)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
FCM Fan Control Module, vw calls it J293 module, I have replaced 3 of these so far, I can not find a short in the wiring, I have the wiring squematic from VW I have the T4 wire plug and T14 plug I have checked, I can get the air to work 1 time after I replace the FCM then something happens to the system and quit's till I replace the module or (relay - I call it)
I have also replaced the compressor and clutch. the presure switch also.... When I replace the FCM I turn on the key, the 2 fans run in low speed, and then i start the car up the air will run and cool the car, 10-15 min's Turn it off and then turn it back on and then NOTHING it all quit, Turn on the key turn on the air and NO fan's at all.... start the car and NO air neighter, something somewhere is going on, any help,
Scott
Try unplugging and plugging back in the connector with the main power and ground- your fans or compressor may come on for a second then go off. If that's the case, then I would suspect that something else is throwing your system off. But the radiator fans should always come on with the A/C button depressed, even without the engine running. Any other odd symptoms? Does the A/C switch light up when you press it, after the system has failed again?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The AC switch always lights up when pushed in, The fans only come on slow speed after I change out the FCM and the AC does work only for about 15min then all quits after I turn off the the AC, I turn it back on and nothing no fans or AC,. I tried running a ground wire to the compressor and also to both fans, nothing changed,If I change out the FCM it will work fine till I turn it off, and try to turn it back on..
I can't think of anything that would cause this, and haven't ever heard of it happening like this in any shop I have been in. Ill opt out and see if someone else can find a solution for you. The only thing I can think of is if there is a ground point (for the module) that is causing it to draw way too much current, and fusing the contacts or something. Have you tried breaking apart one of the "bad" control modules?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I have taken apart 1 of the bad modules and I dont see any thing fried inside ( wow there is a lot of things in there) I even took a new on and a ohm meter checking each tang to tang trying to see if any differnce between them, trying to what may be shorted out, but both new and the bad checked out very close the same,, now this is on the bench and not hook to the Jetta... I just hate to hook up a new one knowing it may fry it,,, Do you think Dealer would spot any thing pluging it in to there is it vag com or what ever there system is they use... funny thing is the check eng light is not on at all - so probally no codes would come up??? I'l try any thing BUT to have VW install a new FCM and have burn out right there and i have to pay for it...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can anybody come up with a answer? another thing about all this is - I never have any bad fuse's, they all check and test good,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can somebody atleast tell me how many AMP's the compressor should be pulling when running?