Martin, auto electrical
Experience:  South African Trade Diploma in Auto Electrical
47606789

Volkswagen Beetle: Trying to fix my fuel gauge on Beetl

Customer Question

Trying to fix my fuel gauge on 69 Beetle
Category: VW
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. As you do not say, what does the fuel gauge do?Please let me know more so that I can assist you.Greetings,Martin.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fuel gauge doesn't go up more than half tank of gas even though tank is full
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
The fault can be one of two things. The tank sender unit is sticking (hooking against one of the baffle plates inside the tank. The thank unit should be installed with the float towards the left hand (Driver) side.
If you have done that correctly then the fault might be the fuel gauge itself. At times I have found that the bi-metal spring unhook where it hinge to pull the needle. It's relatively easy to just hook it back so that the needle can operate as it should. If that is not the case then I would suggest you replace the gauge with a new/used one that is working as it should.
I hope you find this information helpful should you need more do not hesitate to ask.
Greetings,
Martin.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I haven't had time to check float yet.
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
It's ok I can wait.. If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask.
Greetings,
Martin.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm waiting for new fuel gauge.
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Hi,It should resolve the problem.Greetings,Martin.
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Was just wondering did you install the new fuel tank gauge? Let me know if there is anything more I can assist you with.
Greetings,
Martin.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I have been very busy and will be away until August 10th.
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me..
Greetings,
Martin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK
I put new sensor, new voltage regulator and new fuel gauge but the needle only goes up to quarter tank. What's next?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hi,To test the if the system is faulty. Connect a wire from the body where it will make good earth contact with the fuel tank unit. Remove the unit from the tank and connect the fuel gauge wire and the earth wire to the fuel tank unit.. Switch the ignition switch on and move the float up to the highest point it will go the gauge should read full. If it does then there must be a obstruction inside the fuel tank, causing the float not to be able to move freely. I had some cases like this before but they are very rare. Usually the fuel gauge is the one with the problem. The needle can quite easily become unhooked from the bi-metal plate and then it cannot read/indicate properly. Greetings,Martin.Greetings,Martin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I moved float all the way to too and guage doesn't move at all. Do you think I got a faulty tank sensor unit?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hi,If the tank unit is faulty then you will not get any reading on the fuel gauge. If when you test the system with the tank unit removed just ensure that the tank unit is earth other wise it will not work.Greetings,Martin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I grounded the sensor. It didn't move the needle when it wasn't grounded. The needle doesn't go past quarter tank....I'm lost....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you think of anything else?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hi,If you earth the fuel gauge wire to the body does the gauge go to full?Greetings,Martin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes when I grounded the wire to the gauge the needle went almost to full tank. Could it be the sensor is bad?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hello,It would appear the tank unit is faulty. It might be the the reostat is not making contact with the moving contact all the way.Greetings,Martin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Changed sender for second time. Gauge still only goes up a quarter of the way. So, I changed fuel gauge, vibrator and sending unit. The unit is grounded, Amy other ideas?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Wow if you have chanced all the units that make-up the fuel gauge system then the fault can not be with any one of them. The fault then must lie within the fuel tank itself. Check that one of the plates inside the tank are not loose and cause the float to get stuck and therefore not be able to move freely.Also ensure that the earth on the fuel thank is secure. The tank sender unit has one bolt with a copper washer so ensure there is a proper earth on that bolt.Greetings,Martin.