vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

VW Cabrio: I have a 1999 VW Cabrio that has had 2 ignition

Customer Question

I have a 1999 VW Cabrio that has had 2 ignition coils go bad in 3 months . the first was the original I think with 130000 on it. The second was a used one with about 80000 on it . I took the second out of my running parts car. Both times when the coils failed the car was at highway speed and it started bucking and then died. In both cases the engine would turn over but not start. When I replaced the original with the used coil and it fired right up and ran fine. When the used one failed I had the same circumstances, runnig fine, bucked died and would turn over but not start. I have just replaced it with a new coil and again it fired right up and is running fine. My question, Is there something else I should be looking for or at that is causing this problem or is it just bad luck and used parts. I love the car but now I am afraid to drive it too far from home, I am worried it will happen again Thanks Tony B.
Category: VW
Expert:  chris replied 2 years ago.
these coils go bad quite often, but make sure water is not getting on them also make sure they are tightened down securely. a lot of times after the car is washed or it is raining the water runs down in the cowl and onto the coil