VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

I have an issue with my wipers not working. I think I

Customer Question
Hello, I have an issue...
Hello, I have an issue with my wipers not working. I think I might have shorted out something. I did find that the fuse, which is a 25A and was blown. However, there is one power wire coming into the fuse box and none going out. Another mechanic on here
Pete, said that sometimes that is the case. I am trying to get my wipers working again and I have a dropbox with pictures to share of where I am at in the process. Also looking to see if anyone can show me or any advice on how to remove the wiper control arm
on the steering column? Here is the dropbox link and let me know if you can help. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uydzcmnrl3qstic/AAAD_Mrk_NtiJ5PO7saWhGoja?dl=0 Thanks in advance, Kevin
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: VW
7/8/2015
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
hi I'm Wolfgang here to help. please go to this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEGCgPimxl8 you will need to remove the module first before removing the switch. then you would need a feeler gauge to release the tab to pull the switch forward
let me know if you still need more help
Hello Wolfgang, that helped and thanks for the reference. I took the arm off and disassembled it. I don't see any issues with the device inside. Slider contacts are in place no unusual wear. Is it possible that the wiper motor is blown, or should I be removing the tape around the wires on column to determine if there is a burnt wire or is there a fuse for this. The fuse I found was a 25A with 1 wire coming in and that is it. Would there be a fault code for the wipers not working??Thanks.
What would you do next if you didn't have a computer? Or would you replace the arm/switch on the steering column for the wipers.Thank you, kevin
on your fuse pic there is a fuse missing where you have the 25a fuse and 20a fuse (in between)i do need a vin # ***** pull up the correct wiring diagram to assist on that part.
Thank you Wolfgang. Here is the vin number; 3VWSG71K55M604495. When I went in to check the fuses I used the owners manual and the fuse that I had removed is missing however it is all the way to the right, next to the 5a. If you can zoom in you will see 1 metal contact point. This is where the owners manual said the fuse is located. Not sure what that missing fuse is but I don't think I took that out.Thanks
the fuse for the wipers is f31 of the underhood fuse box. note wipers will not work if the hood is open so the latch must be tripped closed to enable wiper operation
Wow, thank you and I hope it is just a knuckle head move, on my part, leaving the hood latch released.This has been very helpful.
I will let you know if I need anything else.Best,Kevin
anything else?if not.....I try to be online 365 days a year.I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!So please rate me above!!!!If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.ThanksWolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician