vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

Volkswagen New Beetle: 2001 VW New Beetle, cranks but will

Customer Question

2001 VW New Beetle, cranks but will not start. Error codes P0725, P180, P1850. Replaced the engine speed sensor & Trans control switch. Still will not fire. Cleaned grounds by the ECM. Doesn't appear to be getting fuel. All fuses appear to be ok. Originally was blowing fuse to ECM all the time.
Category: VW
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.
Did you check for spark?
did you check the fuel pump relay?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did not check spark. Changed relay to fuel pump
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Do you have the immobilizer light on dash with ignition on?
can you hear the fuel pump operating?
would you be able to check for spark?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is the immobilized light???
Can't hear the fuel pump
I could check spark in a little while
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
The fuel pump is under the bench seat. Removing the seat bottom, and the cover will grant access to the fuel pump. simply putting your hand on it or a screw driver while someone tries to start, you should be able to know from the vibration if it's running or not.
The immobilizer light on the instrument cluster looks like a small beetle with a key under it.
I would check the light, fuel pump, and spark. So we proceed accordingly.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The fuel pump does not sound like its coming on, the immobilized light does come on and then off when trying to start it.
Dumb question: Where are the spark plugs on 1.8 turbo engine
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
The immobilizer light should turn on with ignition on, after a few seconds, turn off. And then you try to start.
Since we're at the fuel pump, can you get a lamp test, or multimeter to check if it has power supply?
I will attach the component locations (number 8 is the coil, remove it and the spark plug is under it, 3 more coils are there next to the one illustrated, one for each cylinder):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Zgf4dbmODzTEhfLWMyb0N1b0k/view?usp=sharing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pull the connection off the fuel pump and check it?? What should it read
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I test it with this
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Our just the electrical tester that lights up
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
You should get 12 volts on the fuel pump connector while trying to start (or around 12 volts, as the starter will cause the voltage to drop). You can use a test light, or the multimeter in the photo. On the fuel pump connector, the two thick wires (should be on the outer sides of the connector) should be for fuel pump, the other two for the fuel level sender.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Used a test light, stuck end in one wire and cranked the motor, light did not light
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
This is a 12 volt circuit. You need to use the 12 Volt test light, that has two ends (two sides), one side on each of the connector's outer pins) the left and the right outer pins. Or you can use the multimeter, put it on volt, and connect as described, and check if you get voltage when cranking.