VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

Volkswagen Beetle: I have a 1998 Beetle. It has had an intermittent

Customer Question
I have a 1998 Beetle...
I have a 1998 Beetle. It has had an intermittent miss for some time now. Yesterday I filled the tank with gas and started out of town. I had cruise set at 60. All of a sudden, it lost power. Wouldn't stay running again after that. Now it will idle for a bit then die and dies instantly when you hit the accelerator pedal. Also, there is a smell almost like a burning plastic bag.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: VW
6/22/2015
VW Mechanic: gomi_otaku, VW Technician replied 2 years ago
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Make sure your battery connections are tight, and inspect under the hood for any sign of melted insulation on wiring to the battery area fuses
Everything looks good in the engine compartment. The smells seems more from the back or middle of the car.
If you have had misfiring for some time, it's possible that your catalyst is melted down internally, blocking your exhaust flow. Often it will heat up glowing hot, and melt stuff around it.
vwnewton
vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced