VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Volkswagen Golf GTI 1.8T: 05 vw gti 1.8t p0732

Customer Question
05 vw gti 1.8t p0732...
05 vw gti 1.8t p0732
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: VW
05 vw gti 1.8t p0732 does not shift after 10 minutes of driving car shift good.
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/6/2015
VW Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 3 years ago
Matt, Engineer
Hello
P0732 is the fault code for incorrect gear ratio
this is a code for an auto transmission
so possible causes will be
Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Faulty Shift Solenoids
- Shift Solenoids harness is open or shorted
- Shift Solenoids circuit poot electrical connection
- Transmission mechanical problems
- Transmission hydraulic control circuit
So I'd I'd take a look at the fluid level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.
You can top up the box through the side fill plug ( with a warm engine) if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..
If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire
Can you send me some diagrams where is the solenoid location and how to replace them.
And also how many quarts of transmission fluid I should put
Hello
the solenoids are inside the trasnmisson
once you've removed the sump pan this reveals the solenoid / valve block due to the code its likelyto be the 2 to 3 gear soelnoids that need replacing / inspection
this video shoudl prove helpful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLlVx-n7GsA
a full fill is 3 quarts of fluid
Hi
do you still need help?