sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2006 jetta tdi. When I turn the key on the check

Customer Question

I have a 2006 jetta tdi. When I turn the key on the check engine light dosen't light up, the starter won't turn over the engine and the shift interlock won't release the shifter. I read these other posts about relay 109. So I pulled the relay center down
under the dash and it dosen't have the 109 relay. Is the 06 different from the earlier ones?
Category: VW
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If the engine light doesn't do a bulb check and the starter won't engage then the engine controller isn't awake. It could be a loss of power or ground to it or the ECM may have failed internally.
What will need to be done is use a scan tool to ensure that it doesn't communicate. If it isn't awake then it's powers and grounds will need to be verified before condemning it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I connected a scanner to the port and it would not communicate. The port does have power. My Alldata data base is out of order and due to the holiday I can't call them to get it online again until tomorrow. Any help will be appreciated..........This car was in a rear end collision and had lots of damage in the front end including crushing the air filter box and even cracked the under hood fuse\relay box. I have checked all of the fuses and they check good. The tow truck driver cut the ground cable at the time of the accident. I replaced that, headlights, interior lights, electric windows, radio etc are working right. The steering wheel air bag was triggered and I have it removed from the steering wheel right now waiting on a replacement.
You have multiple issues then. If the airbag was deployed and the module hasn't been replace yet then it won't start because of that, but if the ECM has no response that will need to be dealt with also. The next step will be to test it's powers and grounds.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have that info for powers and grounds. Can you supply that info as to what pin #'s are ground and what pin #'s are power? If it won't start because of the air bag module not being replaced, then I will get a bag module ordered. Just hope it won't need an ECM also.
Do you know the build date?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes the build date is 06\06
In the 94 way connector do you have three red/green wires with battery voltage with the key on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** will check that on Wed. I won't be here tomorrow unless I can make it later in the day.
Ok.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry to take so long, I had court today, and lasted most of the day. I checked the three red with green wires in the 94 way connector and none of them had voltage with the key on.......
Does anything else not power up with the key on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
when I turn the key on the daytime running lights come on, the radio works, the elect windows work, the trunk and fuel door solenoids work, the only light on the dash that comes on is the DRL light. Or did you mean are any of the other 94 way wires hot. When I plugged the scanner into the scaner powered up, so there is power there too.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, I have found an air bag module that should be delivered after lunch today, but not the air bag yet. Will just the module allow the engine to start after we fix the other problem?
Yes, assuming there are no other vehicle issues.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have run into more trouble. I can't have the air bag module until Monday. I am pretty sure I have other problems since there is not power on the green with red wires in the 94 way connector. If possible, maybe we can work on that problem while we are waiting on the air bag module.
Are there any other items that don't power up with the key on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey Sprinkles, been very busy. I only have one helper and he hurt his back a couple weeks ago and has been out a lot since. I did install the used air bag module but still have the problem with the three red with black wires in the 94 way connector not powering up with the key on. Also should I not install the air bag in the steering wheel until I know all the sensors in the front end are ok? I have replaced the radiator header panel, bumper front cover, the left front fender and inner fender, battery box, air filter box etc, but have not checked out the sensors in the front end. Thank You , Rodger Cook
The airbag module should not be installed until all other airbag repairs have been made.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I found an airbag sensor at the front left side of the radiator that was crushed, (I'm sure it is air bag related because it has a yellow connector, so I unplugged it. Is there supposed to be one on the passenger side also. If so I could not find it. I did find something in that area that looked like some kind of switch that was crushed but haven't determined exactly what it is. It is in the area of the ac compressor, but the ac compressor has all the wires connected to it. It is NOT a yellow connector so don't think it is anything to do with the air bag system.
There should be an impact sensor behind the headlamp area on the right side.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You are speaking of the passenger side, right? The only one I found was on the left side. I will check tomorrow and see if it will reach the passenger side. Is there only one impact sensor in the front?
The right side is the passenger side if it's a left hand drive vehicle in the US. There should be an impact sensor on the left and right side in the front.