VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Volkswagen Jetta: I have a 1999.5 Jetta with 2.0 gas and…

Customer Question
Hi I have a 1999.5...
Hi I have a 1999.5 Jetta with 2.0 gas and my car is hard to start and my 409 relay is clicked on/off. Once it starts it seems to run fine
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: VW
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/21/2015
VW Mechanic: Martin, auto electrical replied 3 years ago
Martin, auto electrical
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I am at your service to assist with your VW problems. Welcome to Just Answer.
I would suggest you open the 8 pin relay and examine the printed circuit board for loose/bad soldering joints as they have a tendency to have bad soldering joints. This is usually the cause of the hard starting. If this is the case you can merely re-solder the bad joint/s. Unfortunately the 7 pin relay will not work as the system requires the 8 pin relay to complete the circuit.
If that is not the problem please come back to me and we can do further checks/troubleshooting. Other faults might include dirty fuel filter, bad fuel pump or a faulty fuel pressure regulator. I doubt this, however, I suspect the relay, as you say the car runs fine once it has started.
Please let me know how you fare.
Greetings,
Martin.
I have checked the relay and I also got a new 409 relay and still doing the same thing
VW Mechanic: Martin, auto electrical replied 2 years ago
Hi Joe,
Thank you for getting back to me. Wow usually on these cars it used to be the fuel pump relay. The next thing to check would be the ignition coil, fuel pressure or cold start temperature senor.
When you crank the engine does the rev counter needle move ever so slightly? This is an indication that the ignition coil is being triggered to deliver a spark. The people at a repair shop could perhaps help by checking the ignition coil output voltage for you just to make sure that the ignition coil is in good order.
The temperature sensor might be making bad contact in the plug. There are two sensors the one with 4 wires is the one you should check to see if the terminals are making good contact. These sensor do not easily go faulty they tend to make bad contact. Too check the terminals use a loose spade terminal that you can insert into the female terminals to see if when you push the male terminal into the female that it goes in tightly. AS These small female terminal bend open and does not make good contact.
Check all this and see maybe you find something if not come back to me and we can take the matter further.
Greetings,
Martin.
Which temperature sensor would I check
I also notice my intake throttle valve clicking too and I noticed a broken pin on that small 2 wire valve of the plastic intake tube what goes to the oil filler cap
Hi Joe,
The sensor that I am talking about is the one where the top radiator house mount too the engine side. Not sure what you mean by the clicking on the throttle valve. I do not understand what you mean with a air intake to the oil filler, it must be a crank case breather pipe.
Greetings,
Martin.
Ok so you mean the coolant temperature sensor and its blue? I checked the pins on it and they are good Ya if I touch where my throttle cable connects at the intake I can also feel it clicking and there is some sort of valve or sensor which goes from the crankcase to the black plastic intake pipe which has two pins and one of them is broken off. I tried to use a paper clip to bypass the sensor or valve and it blew the fuse # *****
Hi Joe,
Yes that is the coolant sensor I am talking about. The throttle body has a micro switch on that is where the click comes from. The sensor you are talking about I think is actually the idle stabilizer and that one has a positive and negative wire to open the Idle valve. Yes it will blow the fuse if you bridge the wires.
Greetings,
Martin.
Martin, auto electrical