Martin, auto electrical
Experience:  South African Trade Diploma in Auto Electrical
47606789

Volkswagen Jetta: I have a 2000 vw jetta 2.0 and it wont

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2000 vw jetta 2.0 and it wont stay running ill start and stall
Category: VW
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Welcome to Just Answer,The crankshaft sensor is the most common cause for this type of behavior. But one should really draw the fault codes to see if there are any stored. If there are none stored fault codes then the crank shaft sensor is not sending a clear signal causing the ECM to miss read the engine speed and stopping the engine to protect it from harm. One can use the VAC-COM scanner to read the signal strength as well as checking for the stored fault codes.I hope you find this information helpful and should you need more do not hesitate to ask.Greetings,Martin.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi the car still wont start and it sounds like its lazy wen it turns over

Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Hi John,
Try one thing for me please? disconnect the exhaust at the flange close to the engine and try starting the engine. If the engine starts rite-up then the catalytic converter might be blocked.
Greetings,
Martin.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Cranking heavy I put jump box and still same can it be timing ?

Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Hi John,
The timing is being set by The ECM via the crank and cam sensors. I doubt the timing will be wrong. Does the engine turn hard?
Greetings,
Martin.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It turns slow like the battery is dead wen its a new battery and a new jump box

Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Hi John,
Try turning the engine by hand to see if the fault is the starter or the engine. See whether the engine turns hard. If the engine turns free between the compression strokes the fault might be that the starter is dragging and/or there are problems with the battery cable connections to the starter.
Once you have tested this it should highlight the problem but please let me now should you require further assistance.
Greetings,
Martin.