gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

2000 Volkswagen Jetta: Cranks over but wont start

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Volkswagen jetta 2.0 that will just crank over but will not start.

Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 2 years ago.
Have you checked for fuel at the rail? Or have you checked for spark at the plugs?
I would start off taking off one of the plug wires, you can plug in any spark plug to it and ground the body of the spark plug to the block, have someone crank the engine over and see if you have a nice white hot spark at the test spark plug.
If you do, then I would disconnect the fuel line from the end of the fuel rail, and direct the hose into a glass bottle. Try just turning the key on a few times, it should run for a few seconds- and then you can try it with cranking the engine and see if you have good flow.
Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have fuel to the fuel rail and have spark from the coil pack to the plugs. I have changed the crankshaft position sensor as well. Looked at all of the fuses.
Does it spin over at normal speed, or faster or slower than normal?
How many miles do you have on it? Does the Check Engine Light come on when you turn the key on, stay on for a few seconds, then turn off?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Normal speed. With my scan tool I am getting codes for fuel injector circuit open for all 4 injectors
Fuse 32 (10a) powers the injectors, and itself receives power from fuse 43 (also 10a) which is powered by the fuel pump relay. So work backwards from there, check for power at 32, then 43, and if none replace the relay
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have already check all of the fuses they are good and replaced the fuel pump really (409). I also looked at the timing belt and it is aligned properly. I also did a compression test and all cylinders are good.

The fuses may be good, but did you check for power to each of them? This is necessary to find where in the circuit your are losing your power source- between 32 and the injectors, or between 43 and 32, or between the relay and fuse 43. You see what I mean? Let me know if you find where the power is lost. If you have no power past the relay, check the relay board for power on the circuits for that relay.