Mike, VW Mechanic
Experience:  34 Years of working on vehicle repair & Diagnostics ! ;)
9261905

Volkswagen Transporter: Hey! Can you help us to locate the

Hey! Can you help us to locate the headlights relay on a Volkswagen Transporter 2005. I need answer fast!

Mike :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

Mike :

My name is MIKE- can you please tell me which engine your Transporter has as this makes a difference?

Mike :

Hello - I see you have entered the Live chat -

Mike :

I need to know which engine you have to be able to accurately help you with your question -

Customer:

I am not quite sure but think it is T5 2.5 diesel 2005 model

Mike :

Thats fine - give me a min...

Mike :

Hi there...

Mike :

Ok - I have checked both data systems and neither list a headlamp relay - what is the fault you have?

Customer:

The problem is: error on the headlights. The daytime running lights do not come on when the car starts. A wire labeled with the number 3 and has color yellow / green that sits in the connector under steering wheel has nearly melted

Mike :

right ok - let me do some more checking - Do the headlamps themselves work - just not the day time lamps?

Mike :

Do you have a relay marked DRL?

Customer:

headlights do not work, if we use long light switches are all the lights come on ..

Mike :

Do you have a relay marked DRL?

Customer:

I'm not sure if we have a DRL relay. I'm not out there with the vehicle itself, I have a son who has got this error on the way to downhill rides.

Mike :

Ok - Vw are the worst for their relays etc - and for the info as to where they are..but it should be relay no. 4, which is second row up, 4 from the left, with a control number of 95 imprinted on the top of the relay...in the interior fuse / relay box / panel.

Mike :

IF thats not the one - then, there is a relay panel behind the center console sections- below the heater control area- that you access by removing a couple of screws. In later vehicles that's where it was located.

Customer:

The first thing that happened was that a 30 a fuse short circuit close and the yellow / green wire started to melt. When he disconnected the yellow / green unplugged. The fuse is still functioning

Mike :

In that case, you have a short in the wiring somehwere -- its a common issue to have wires shorting on the steering column on these, I would suggest to start by checking all around there - and then if you don't find it - you need to follow through checking through the loom to find it - Only a short will cause this so it has to be found...

Mike :

Can I help you anymore at all while we are in Live Chat or are we done?

Customer:

We will continue to debug early the next morning. Local time is now 2:30 in night. Thanks for your help so far and hope we can find the error. Best regards Tor