gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

Volkswagen Jetta: Does anyone no how to reset basic settings

Does anyone no how to reset basic settings on the throttle body useing a genisys otc scan tool?

gomi_otaku :

Are there faults for the throttle body, or have you done a cleaning or left it disconnected for a long time?

gomi_otaku :

You can reset the basic settings just by turning the key on, then off, then on again and putting the gas pedal to the floor and holding it there for a minute, then turn the key off while holding the pedal down.

gomi_otaku :

Otherwise- if your scan tool requires the 3-digit number for the readiness test, the one for the throttle is 060, and to set kickdown for the transmission (if automatic) is 061

Customer:

well this jetta wont accelerate very much.It tells me codes that i cant understand like 16990,17953,17966,17976. and my cheap code reader says p0638

Customer:

my genisys otc tells me the first 4 codes

gomi_otaku :

It sounds to me like it is saying the throttle body itself is faulty- mechanical malfunction, throttle drive problem- the weird one is the 16990, which means the module (ECM) is itself defective (but VW has had some issues with these faults before, I would replace it as the last repair, after replacing the throttle body. Usually the throttle body will only throw an "adaptation limit" fault if it is dirty and needs to be cleaned and adapted.

gomi_otaku :

It could potentially be the wiring, so make sure to check the contacts of the wiring at the throttle body AND at the ECM itself, to make sure it is not due to some kind of corrosion on the pins.

Customer:

one last question wher did you get the 3-digit number for the readiness test? I use prodemand

Customer: Hello?
Customer:

hello can you still helpme or do i need a different expert?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Wished i could have gotten more info from you
The 3-digit number I have is the dealership readiness code used with the scan tool.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry i ask so many questions but i really want to learn this stuff. So do i call dealer in the future for codes or is the software that gives you this?
The best thing for VW is to get the Ross-Tech software (scan tool emulator) Then you can access their wiki which will give you more information than the dealer gives their techs!