VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

Volkswagen Beetle Turbo S: 2003 VW Beetle Turbo S. How difficult

2003 VW Beetle Turbo S...
2003 VW Beetle Turbo S. How difficult is it to do a timing belt?
7/3/2013
Jerry, Master Mechanic

Hello and welcome, Super mechanic here. Thank you for trusting us with your vehicle concerns, I will do my best to help you with your question.

Not that it's difficult, just time consuming and is rated for a "B" technician level.

.

Labor time is 5 hours. The engine has to be raised up some and there are some tools that you might be able to fabricate if you don't have them.

.

I have the instructions in a PDF format HERE

..

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

.

If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

.

Thanks

Jerry, Master Mechanic
Thanks for that info. Might you also have a list of other things i should do while I'm in there like water pump, seals etc..? Finally, any good manuals or online publications you'd recommend that might assist with instructions or special pointers in completing this procedure?
Yes, that's a good question. Normally, while your in there it would be good to replace the water pump, camshaft front seal, crankshaft seal and possibly the tensioner. Sometimes those are somewhat of an "option" but can save a major headache down the road.
.

Aslo, it does seem that good repair information costs a fairly good amount of money these days. The "Haynes" manuals are good but "Alldata DIY", (online) may have them beat. That is around $30 a year, per car.
.

..

.

.

Thanks

Hello Aaron, Super mechanic here. I was just wondering how your vehicle is and wanted to see if you may need any more on it.
Jerry, Master Mechanic