GazzaR1964
GazzaR1964, VW Mechanic
Experience:  I have been in the motor trade for almost 30 years, working on all Volkswagen models
11179493

Volkswagen Passat 2.0T: Hello, I have VW Passat 2006. The

I have VW Passat 2006. The display showed me "check brake pad". It says i have to contact VW as soon as possible. How far can I drive with this error?
Hello and thank you very much for your question.

The brake pads on your Passat are fitted with an electronic wear indicator. This is basically a metal strip which is located within the brake pad friction material. Once the pads wear down to this metal strip, the warning light is activated.
The light will activate once the pads are approximately two thirds worn, so you will be able to continue to drive your car for a while without any problems.
Quite often, the brake pads can be seen through one of the holes in the wheel, so it's easy for any one who knows what to look for to check the pads for you.

I hope this answers your question, but if you need any further help, please feel free to reply to me.

Regards, Gary.
Hi.
Once again, thank you very much for your question. I hope that you were happy with my answer and that your car is now running well. If you have more questions, you can ask me directly — that's what I'm here for!
Best regards, Gary.