VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Volkswagen Jetta: I have a 03 Jetta 1.8T, hard to start. I…

I have a 03 Jetta...
I have a 03 Jetta 1.8T, hard to start. I' ve replaced fuel pump and filter, cam, crank, coolant sensors, new timing belt. I cleaned throttle assembly, maf, new coils and plugs and both o2 sensors. Car starts easy when it's cold, after warms up it does not want to start. It's sounds like it's trying to start but it wont until it cools down. Idles pretty low and a little rough when it's warm and dies easy.
2/11/2013
VW Mechanic: gomi_otaku, VW Technician replied 9 years ago
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician

gomi_otaku :

You replaced the camshaft and crankshaft, or the SENSORS on those? Because I was going to say the crank sensor is bad, if you haven't replaced it. If it is close to being out of resistance range, a little heat will put it over the top, and then it won't run.

Customer:

I've replaced everything that I listed in the question, the only thing I haven't touch i the ECM

gomi_otaku :

so you replaced the shafts themselves, not the electrical sensors. I would check the connector for the crank sensor, it is 3 pins. between the center pin and one of the outer pins it should read 700-900 kOhms. Higher than that, and I would suspect that it is your problem. No continuity between any other combination of pins.

Customer:

If you read my question, I've replaced all the sensors that I listed, not the shafts

gomi_otaku :

I read the question- that's why I asked for clarification. Now I know.

Customer:

Well, any idea what might be the problem on my car

VW Mechanic: iauto8, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 years ago
iauto8
iauto8, ASE Certified Technician
The 2 things I would check first would be fuel pressure and purge valve. Hook a fuel pressure tester to the car and verify when the car is shut off it holds fuel pressure. If the pressure drops very quickly you may have a leaking fuel injector or fuel pressure regulator. The purge valve may be stuck open this would cause a rich fuel condition on startup. Cold it would not be very noticeable , however when hot it would be like flooding the car. Chris.......

I'll check that and get back to you. But now it wont even start at all, it sounds like it wants to start but just not firing.

I have a couple questions while your checking things out. Was a basic setting performed on the throttle body after cleaning? Is the check engine lamp on and any codes stored? Was the fuel pump relay replaced? Let me know how things go. I will help any way I can. Chris.....

I finally got it to start. Took a few trys and warm it up after I replaced the fuel reg. new NGK plugs and fuel pump relay. So far it hasn't died yet except it idles rough and when I start it I have to barely touch the throttle to get it to start. The check engine light is on now, you think the knock sensor might be bad too?

Also, I put the throttle body back the same way I took it off. P0230 is the code and also coolant sensor signal too high.

P0230 would be caused by a failed fuel pump relay. This may have stored before you replaced the relay. If not your new relay is bad. Make sure the relay is German made, I have had many problems with Chinese relays failing right out of the box. Your car should have the throttle body basic setting performed. This should be done when ever the throttle body is cleaned or the battery disconnected. You will need a factory style scan tool to perform this. If one is not available clear any codes stored in the pcm and then turn key on engine off for 2 minutes. Then start car, this will get you close. The car will relearn throttle settings on its own, but it may take a few weeks till it is performing correctly. Chris.......
iauto8
iauto8, ASE Certified Technician

Thank you very much for your help, I am taking it to Auto Imports to have them scan it and get a German made Relay, you have been a great help, thank you again.

Your very welcome. Good luck in the repairs. Chris......
iauto8
iauto8, ASE Certified Technician