VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Volkswagen Jetta GLS: 2004 Jetta 2.0 p2188 code just came on,

2004 Jetta 2.0 p2188 code...
2004 Jetta 2.0 p2188 code just came on, what can it be?
2/5/2013
VW Mechanic: iauto8, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 years ago
iauto8
iauto8, ASE Certified Technician

iauto8 :

There are 2 common causes for this code. One is the fuel pressure regulator diapham can leak. If you remove the vacuum hose from the regulator look for fuel in the vacuum line or smell for strong fuel smell. If this is not the cause the mass airflow sensor can cause this as well. Chris......

Customer:

Okay I will check it today and get back to you. I changed the MAF not too long ago about 3 months. I had to erase the engine light with the scanner and I had a pending code, it could be that?

iauto8 :

Let me know what you find. Chris......

Customer:

I can't find the fuel pressure regulator, what does it look like? Can you give a diagram on where it is exactly?

Customer:

?

iauto8 :

Let me get that info for you. Chris....

iauto8 :

Item # XXXXX in the pic is the fuel pressure regulator. It is mounted into the fuel rail. Chris......

iauto8
iauto8, ASE Certified Technician

Doesn't ;look like mine. Its a 2004 Jetta GLS 2.0 NON TURBO OR TDI

I will get you some more pics. There are 4 2.0 liter engines available that year. The one I posted was for a AVH engine code. Do you happen to know your engine code? Chris.....

Well its a BBW engine, I hope that helps.

Also it doesn't seem to have one on the fuel rail. Don't see it at all.

OK on your vehicle the fuel pressure regulator is in the fuel filter. If it has been more than 40k miles since its been replaced you may want to just install a new one. There about 40 dollars. Chris.....Sorry about the mix up on the location. Out of the 4 2l engines available that year your is the only one with that setup. Chris.....

Okay no problem, where is the fuel filter located? Yeah I think its never been replaced at all and it has 84600 miles.