VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

Volkswagen Beetle TDI Passenger Side Mirror Replacement

I need a detailed explanation...

I need a detailed explanation of how to replace the entire side mirror assembly on the passenger side.  The pivot connector has broken from the mirror getting pushed forward too much and the mirror is just hanging by the wire.  I have read that I will need to remove the door panel to get access so I need a explanation of how to do this too and what tools I will need.  I found a procedure for doing this on a 1998 Beetle but do not know if it's the same for a 2004.

11/11/2012
Tim's Auto Repair

tim's auto repair :

hi

tim's auto repair :

i have uploaded the procedure for you

tim's auto repair :

you will need standard hand tools and a flat screw driver

tim's auto repair :

please copy and paste the link below in your browser

tim's auto repair :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hjg217gnnr3ntcb/1111-2004%20Volkswagen%20New%20Beetle.doc

tim's auto repair :

if that doesnt work,,try it this way

tim's auto repair :

www.dropbox.com/s/hjg217gnnr3ntcb/1111-2004%20Volkswagen%20New%20Beetle.doc

tim's auto repair :

thanks

tim's auto repair :

Customer:

The biggest thing I was concerned about was how to get the door panel off. These instructions talk about grinding things off to remove the door panel? I thought it just pulled off after removing a few screws but these instructions show what looks like a very complicated procedure to just remove the door panel. Is this correct?

tim's auto repair :

yes..it doesnt just pop off

tim's auto repair :

though it isnt too bad

tim's auto repair :

just follow the instructions,,,you will be fine

tim's auto repair :

Customer:

So should the door panel come off first or does it come off after I remove the old mirror?

tim's auto repair :

no..you need to remove the panel first

tim's auto repair :

remove the panel per instructions

tim's auto repair :

after that there isnt much to the mirror

Customer:

But more upper door panel is not painted, it has a rubberized texture to it. I don't see how I'm supposed to grind anything off to remove the upper door panel. In reading further it says I cannot reuse my door panel? Is it the upper that I can't reuse or if so why not? Seems awfully wasteful to have to throw it away just because I need to remove it. If I decided not to hook up my power mirror could I install it without removing the door panel? This looks like way more than what I was expecting if the door panel has to come off.

tim's auto repair :

i think i may have gave you too much info

tim's auto repair :

you can use your panel

tim's auto repair :

please go down to door trim removal

tim's auto repair :

it isnt that bad,,,really

tim's auto repair :

i wanted to give you plenty of info to refer too...and i think i just caused confusion ,,,,sorry

Customer:

Yea that makes a lot more sense now. That middle part freaked me out a bit. This looks more like what I was expecting if I just need to remove the door trim panel. So the upper door panel does not have to come off right?

tim's auto repair :

yes

tim's auto repair :

now we are getting there

Customer:

Also, if I just download the document and save it as a Word file I will be able to pull it up later right?

tim's auto repair :

you should be done within an hour

tim's auto repair :

yes,,it is a word file

tim's auto repair :

or,,you could just save the link..i will leave it open for a week or so for you

Customer:

One more question-when my mirror broke the only part that broke is the metal pivot piece that it looks like the mirror assembly sits on top of. Is that a part that I can replace by itself without having to replace the entire mirror assembly? My mirror is not broke, the blinker still works and the mirror is still able be moved with the control. Just wondering if there is a way to save me some money.

tim's auto repair :

well

tim's auto repair :

you can replace just the housing

tim's auto repair :

though,,i wouldnt think there would be a bog price difference

tim's auto repair :

we always replace the unit

tim's auto repair :

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle (1C1) L4-1.9L DSL Turbo (ALH)
Mirrors Service and Repair, Removal and Replacement: Exterior Rearview Mirror, Mirror Housing, Removing and Installing

Mirror Housing, Removing And Installing

- New Beetle Sedan --> 05.00.
- New Beetle Sedan --> 06.00.
- New Beetle Convertible.
- Remove mirror glass.

New Beetle Sedan --> 05.00

16_vw9507beetl_bd03_66-008.jpg
Full Size Image

- Press screwdriver - 2 - in - direction of arrow - against locking mechanism under retainer - 4 - and disengage mirror housing - 1 -.
- Pull off mirror housing - 1 - upward from mirror carrier - 3 -.

New Beetle Sedan 06.00 -->

01_vw9507beetl_bd03_66-009a.jpg
Full Size Image

- Unclip trim - 1 - from mirror housing. Loosen locking mechanism using - screwdriver arrow -, to do so.

11_vw9507beetl_bd03_66-009b.jpg
Full Size Image

- Press screwdriver - 2 - in - direction of arrow - against locking mechanism above retainer - 4 - and disengage mirror housing - 1 -.
- Loosen mirror housing - 1 - from lower retainer - 3 - and remove mirror housing from mirror carrier - 3 - by turning respectively.

New Beetle Convertible
- Switch off ignition and all electrical consumers and remove ignition key.

09_vw9507beetl_bd03_66-010a.jpg
Full Size Image

13_vw9507beetl_bd03_66-010b.jpg
Full Size Image

- Press screwdriver - 2 - in - direction of arrow - against locking mechanism above retainer - 5 - and disengage mirror housing - 1 -.
- Loosen mirror housing - 1 - from lower retainer - 4 - and unlock connector for mirror turn signal lamp - 3 - and remove.
- Remove mirror housing - 1 - from mirror carrier - 4 - by turning respectively.

Installing
- The respective assembly follows the reverse of the removal procedures.

Customer:

I was thinking if I reused my old mirror assembly I wouldn't have to remove the door trim panel since it's already wired up and still functioning. I think it's the piece that these 3 screws connect too:

tim's auto repair :

well

tim's auto repair :

if your housing is good

tim's auto repair :

ten,,you could just replace the glass

tim's auto repair :

i was thinking the housing was broken

Customer:

No the glass is still good too, it's just the metal pivot pad that attaches with the screws that is broken. It looks like the mirror assembly sticks onto the pivot post.

tim's auto repair :

the housing that mounts to the door is fine?

tim's auto repair :

if so,,then yes,,you may be able to replace it all from the outside

Customer:

Yes it's fine.

tim's auto repair :

though,,i have no info at all for this

tim's auto repair :

give me just a second please

tim's auto repair :

i have nothing

tim's auto repair :

and relly dont know if it can be bought seperatly

tim's auto repair :

separately

Customer:

Well, I guess I'll see if that part is even available from my VW dealer and at least try that approach. If it doesn't work I'll fall back on replacing the whole thing. Thanks for the help. I'll give you a good rating.

tim's auto repair :

you are very welcome

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic