VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Volkswagen passat: 2002 AT 1.8t Passat wagon. 134,000m Single…

2002 AT 1.8t Passat wagon...
2002 AT 1.8t Passat wagon. 134,000m Single screech typically when car is cold and only occurs when driving away from a stop and happens for a second. Does not occur when engine is revved and car not moving. Seems to be happening more often. Could not get car to do it today. Wife says the car was already warm. thanks for any help in advance.

bill
7/29/2012
Jake
Jake, VW Technician

Thank You for choosing Just Answer for your query. Yes, I can help you.

This is likely the Accessory drive belt, also called a serpentine drive belt. It typically does it only when cold for a couple of reasons. First off the rubber is cold so it’s not as “sticky”. Secondly after sitting all night and then starting the engine the battery is a bit depleted due to a small amount of discharge overnight, and the discharge of the battery due to starter draw. If you have the belt replaced it will likely correct the condition.

I hope I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Should you have further questions on this matter, please do not hesitate to ask. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.

Positive feedback, referrals and bonuses are always APPRECIATED.

Thank You!
Jake “The VW Doctor”
So new serp belt. That requires removal of the entire front end, correct me if I am wrong. I am 30k off from a new timing belt anyway. So, in your opinion, is this just the time for a new serp, new time, and the whole shebang? Water pump, tensioner etc. Had this all done at 80k. That is usually an 800 job. Could I just spray some belt dressing stuff on the belt to delay the job until I need the timing belt?
If you are not due yet based on mileage and the belt was not cracked (little cracks on inside ribs) you could simply apply some belt dressing and see if that corrects it. If the belt did appear cracked or worn in some way I would recommend replacement as 30k is a long way to go on a failing/failed belt.

By the way I noticed on my answer I omitted the fact that the reason it screeches in the a.m. after the battery is discharged is because the alternator is charging heavily at that time and the increase load causes the belt to slip/screech.

Thank You!
Jake
Jake
Jake, VW Technician