VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

My car wont start!..started right..shifter b/c

Customer Question
My car won't start!...
My car won't start! When I got up this morning it started right up and I took my kids to school then came back home to get ready. When I went to leave for work it gave me some trouble so I messed with the shifter b/c I know it has done this before when its not all the way in park. It seemed to be completely in park and still wouldn't start then all of a sudden it started and I came to work. When I went to go out for lunch it wouldn't start again and I didn't mess with it until after work so my boss could help me.
We attempted to jump it with his truck and no such luck. He put the cables on my battery and touched the other side together and no spark but there was a spark when he did the same thing on his...he said that meant there was no juice in my battery. All I know is I purchased this battery a couple of months ago so it should be fine. All connections were checked and it appears to be fine. My windows won't roll down, my headlights won't turn on and my trunk won't pop so I am assuming it is all a battery issue. Can you please tell me if this would be the case? Someone else mentioned my alternator or starter but I've heard you would hear clicking with those problems but there is nothing when I try to turn it over.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: VW
5/10/2012
VW Mechanic: David-VAG, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 years ago
David-VAG
David-VAG, ASE Certified Technician

David-VAG :

Hi it could be one of a few things causing your problem. It may be that the battery is faulty and has now failed as you do sometimes get this with batteries. It may also be a alternator fault as if this is playing up then it won't recharge the battery as you drive along which then allow the battery to go flat. Another possible cause is an electrical issue where something is staying on in the car and this is then draining the battery of all it's power making it go flat. You really need to get the car started and have the charge rate checked and the battery fully recharged and tested. If that is all ok then then yo will need to have the current drain checked on your car.

David-VAG
David-VAG, ASE Certified Technician

Well I brought the battery to Advanced Auto and they said it was running at full capacity so now the speculation is alternator, starter or computer (if it even has this). I am not sure why my electrical things wouldn't work if my battery was fine which is why it makes me think its a computer issue.

I have put so much money into this car that I really don't know what to do at this point. I am guessing a diagnostic needs to be run on it but I can't afford to have it towed back to my mechanic since I live approx. 30 miles from my work which is where the car is.

In your expert opinion, if it is a computer issue is it even worth fixing? If the best way to find out by running a diagnostic?

Hi if there are no warning lights coming on the dash board when you put the ignition on then I doubt you have a issue with the starter motor as you would still get the lights on the dash. I would make sure that the battery is fully charged and then refit it to the car and then try it. If the battery is fully charged the lights should come on and the car should start and run.

If the battery is fully charged and you still get no lights then you will need to check the wiring as something very strange has happened. If the car does run with the new battery then to check the alternator you would need a volt meter to check what voltage the battery is getting as you need to get between 13 to 14.5 volts with the car running.

If the main ecu was faulty the car would still turn over but may not start so I don't think that this is your problem.

Dave

My lights did come on once I took it to Advanced Auto whereas before that they didn't but it still didn't start for me. Something very strange is always going on with this car, especially for the past year so it wouldn't surprise me! The other thing to mention is that over the past few months or so there have been times when I try to start it but it won't until I push the shifter all the way in park. I did mess with the shifter numerous times though last night and still got nothing. Could it be possible that something is lose in that area causing these problems? I am grasping at straws at this point but I figured I would ask since I don't know all that much about the intricate parts of cars.

Hi there could well be something there as the car needs to see the car is in park before it will allow the starter motor to work.

The next test if the lights do come on is to check live to the starter motor when you try starting it.

Dave

David-VAG
David-VAG, ASE Certified Technician
David-VAG
David-VAG
David-VAG, ASE Certified Technician